• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Storing Ammo

Dracomeister

Not sure if this has been posted before, if so just remove this post.

Since I store a "moderate" amount of ammo in several calibers my Better Half was worried about it cooking off in a fire and killing some one.  The link below is a You Tube video posted by SAAMI on the subject. Pretty interesting.

Edited by Dracomeister

The one thing they did not include in the testing was "confinement".  Nothing like a GI ammo can was used.  I and most of my shooting/reloading friends store ammo, powder, and primers in GI ammo cans, because we have been told that these air-tight cans are what these items need to be stored in.  I am curious if anyone has any first hand experience with ammo cans, powder, and primers in a fire situation.  I hope nobody has this experience, but chances are someone does.   It's obvious that ammo on shelves, even stacked up in bunches, is not a terrible hazard, but I wonder about the ammo cans, powder, and primers.  Do we need to take any special precautions?  Any thoughts?