• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Dpms Sportical 308.

coachjbates

Hello 

Still learning this forum so this may not be the right place.. So I have a basic 308 DPMS Sportical I got from my family for my 50th Birthday.. 

1. How reliable are these rifles with Brass and Steel case rounds..

2. With Brass reloads how well do they Function with 180 grain led nose rounds.

3. How much substained fire can it take ?

I have done the break in with all brass rounds per DPMS rules.. It shoot justs fine and I had no  malfunctions so far.  But cheaper ammo would be nice and I really enjoy 30 caliber guns.. I can plink and hunt with it..  I know its not proven like my m-1 garand, So I would ask someone who has time with this gun.

Brgds Coach

Hello 

Still learning this forum so this may not be the right place.. So I have a basic 308 DPMS Sportical I got from my family for my 50th Birthday.. 

1. How reliable are these rifles with Brass and Steel case rounds..

Stay away from the steel case , stick with reloadable brass.

2. With Brass reloads how well do they Function with 180 grain led nose rounds.

Never loaded lead cast bullets in a 308 , but can be done with proper lead & gas checks . If you are talking about lead tipped , spear point bullets , I would stay away from them also , semi auto fed actions some times will shave lead off the bullets & can cause malfunctions , plastic tipped work fine, like Barnes , Hornady SST's, Nosler partitions , ect.  I think you will find the 308 AR's like 150-175 gr. bullets more than others but any 308 bullet will work with the right load make up .

3. How much substained fire can it take ? 

Fire away , Rifle will take any thing  your trigger finger can put it through .

I have done the break in with all brass rounds per DPMS rules.. It shoot justs fine and I had no  malfunctions so far.  But cheaper ammo would be nice and I really enjoy 30 caliber guns.. I can plink and hunt with it..  I know its not proven like my m-1 garand, So I would ask someone who has time with this gun.

Brgds Coach

& happy Birthday .

Edited by survivalshop

never shot steel,  I do not use lead nosed bullets all my hunting bullets are barnes ttsx you may have issues with deformation of the nose due to the way the cartridge is stripped from the magazine and slammed home..... and you can fire , alot you will get tired before the gun does.... use plenty of lube on the bolt and bolt carrier till broke in i recommend mobile 1 synthetic 30 it will impregnate the metal and make cleaning a lot easier... Happy birthday and welcome to the forum and the 50 club.....