• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

glass recommendation

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you aren't going to hunt (at least for now), you aren't going to be shooting movers, and much of your work will be done from prone and/or bench (shooting for groups), my suggestion is get the extra magnification.  I personally don't like that much magnification, but I hunt and animals don't always pose for me. 

Edited by StainTrain

Congrats on your first Fathers' Day!

Check on the Viper HS-LR too - they are basically the Viper PS-T with the FFP but without illumination. I strongly recommend getting a milling reticle (MRAD/Mil Dot) in FFP if at all possible, and avoid the BDC reticles. Once you learn how to use the mil reticles they're invaluable!

Edited by shibiwan

My Vortex hook-ups are Liberty Optics, Colonial Armory, and Cameraland.  They are all pretty close in price, I choose the one who has what I need in stock at the time. Call them up don't go through email or facebook. 

I agree getting a mil-dot or tactical milling type reticle is very sound advice.  

I would agree with the FFP if you meet the following criteria:

1.  Have extra money to burn.

2. Going to participate in tactical rifle competitions.  (positions, movers, ranging, etc)

3. Hunting in rugged country. 

If you are going to be killing steel or punching paper in the sleepy time position, then you really won't benefit from the FFP.  The money you save can go towards ammo which will make you a better shooter if you practice your fundamentals. 

Edited by StainTrain

^^^  DAMN!!!  That's one hell of a sale price on that!!!

Yep... it has me wondering if I should just pick up one for sh*ts and giggles. Worst happens, flip it on backpage or something and not lose any money if I don't like it.

Edited by shibiwan

Congrats on your first Fathers' Day!

Check on the Viper HS-LR too - they are basically the Viper PS-T with the FFP but without illumination. I strongly recommend getting a milling reticle (MRAD/Mil Dot) in FFP if at all possible, and avoid the BDC reticles. Once you learn how to use the mil reticles they're invaluable!

Hey bud what's the diffrence between the mad and moa version? I can only assume the little hashes? The cmr mad says 1/10th adjustments. Does that sound about right?

Basically they are angle measurements.

MRAD = MIL (aka Milliradians) -- that's the military/metric standard (6400 mils in 1 complete turn). It's also defined as 1 mil = 1/1000 -- i.e. 1yard  @ 1000 yard distance, or 0.1 yds (3.6") @ 100yds, 0.5m (19.68") @ 500m

MOA = 1" at 100 yds.

e.g.

A 6-ft man at 100 yards = 20 mils (or 20 MRAD) tall as seen by an MRAD/Mil scope reticle

Same 6-ft man at 100 yards = 72 MOA tall as seen by an MOA scope reticle

BTW, if the scope is NOT a first focal plane scope, you have to set it to the correct zoom factor before estimating ranges. This is usually max zoom or 12x zoom on some scopes. In a first focal plane (FFP) scope, the reticle zooms with the image and stays calibrated so you can estimate ranges at all magnification factors.

Edited by shibiwan

MOA = 1" at 100 yds.

1 MOA = 1.047" per 100 yards.

Might seem like chickenshit to correct you with that number, but it makes a big difference at distance.

Edited by 98Z5V

1 MOA = 1.047" per 100 yards.

Might seem like chickenshit to correct you with that number, but it makes a big difference at distance.

Chickenshit indeed. I use the MIL system. :D My brain is wired for metric.

(BTW, 6283.185 mils in 360 degrees - rounded up to 6400 for US Military and rounded down 6000 in eastern bloc countries so you have to pay attention if you have an east german or russian scope with MIL hashes)

Mr Ed - now, do you see why its worth paying extra for a FFP scope with a MIL-based (or MOA-based) reticle?

Edited by shibiwan

ED YOU NEED THIS!!!   <lmao>  <laughs>

61a9sdOH3aL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-KANDAR-6-24x42-Riflescope-Flashlight/dp/B00EC9WW8S/ref=sr_1_61?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1402556793&sr=1-61&keywords=first+focal+plane+scope

It comes with EVERYTHING!!!  <lmao>  <laughs>

P.S. There's a non-illuminated Vortex Viper with FFP (Viper HS-LR I think) that saves you some money if you don't need the night capability.

Edited by shibiwan

Demos are not bad, but sometimes the savings is so marginal you are better off buying new.  In this case, Cameraland is good to go and Vortex's warranty is solid so there is no way to lose.  If you are convinced you want a FFP, I don't think you will regret going with the Demo.  

Edited by StainTrain