• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

glass recommendation

Hello all

I'm looking to get something to hold me by until I get a good piece of glass. It's primary function will be shooting paper from 100 to 1000 yards, maybe not quite 1000 just yet. Something to get some practice in with my new build. Budget possibility is 500 ish

Thanks guys

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1000 yards with a $500 piece of glass?

You might as well be shooting it with a Rock River rifle to boot.

Allllllriiiight! Bring it on Fella's!

And armaite makes it better ?<lmao>

P.s. Ed, try a Nikon. Buy it from cabelas or something and you can exchange it within 6 months with no fuss for something else better

Edited by shibiwan

Like I said I don't plan on shooting 1000 yards with a 500 dollar scope. Once I save up about 1200-1500 I'll ask opinions for a real scope to reach further out.

One of my buddies recommends redfield, any thoughts?

I'll check out nikon aswell

Like I said I don't plan on shooting 1000 yards with a 500 dollar scope. Once I save up about 1200-1500 I'll ask opinions for a real scope to reach further out.

One of my buddies recommends redfield, any thoughts?

I'll check out nikon aswell

Well, you certainly can shoot a 1000 yard target, but it has more to do with the fiddler than the fiddle. 

Edited by StainTrain

.....so while you're saving up, get something from Cabelas. Return it 179 days (or less) later,  pick something better and pay the difference with the credit from the return. Repeat until ultimate satisfaction is reached!!  ::)

...and if budget is a big issue right now, look at the Bushnell Banner Dusk/Dawn series 6-18 x 50 mil dot if you want to reach out for longer ranges. With the mil-dot reticle, it gets you used to mil/mil ranging calculations that's standard on most long range scopes.

Here -- less than $120 and you're good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banner-Series-Riflescopes-Choose-6-18X50/dp/B000FLES8Y

For a few bucks more, you can go 6-24x40 but with a slightly smaller objective (40 vs 50mm)

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Mil-Dot-Reticle-Riflescope-6-24x40/dp/B000GEWB52

Edited by shibiwan

Appleseed is awesome, and you walk away with a little history lesson.  You might want to check other forums WTS threads.  You may be able to pick up a darn good scope for an excellent price.

If you are willing to spend $500 now, why not save up a couple of more pennies and get an SWFA 3-15 FFP a couple months down the line.  It will take you a long time to out grow the scope. 

Edited by StainTrain

Get some BUIS for now. It's tough when you have a rifle that you're just waiting to put the right optics on it. It down right hurts. I'm going through the same thing with a certain sniper rifle of mine right now. BUT.....I needed a new roof on my house first. And definitely before a new bi-pod. (yet another inside joke)

I may do that any good ones you kind folks recommend?

"Anything that is built well, has good adjustment range, and holds a zero."

PSA is running a special on the Magpul MBUS PRO ($124.99 vs $180ish) . Well built, robust etc. I bought a set some time ago for my 308.

You could cheap out like I just did on my 300 BLK with these (I try not to disappoint, especially you, Ron <laughs> ).

Edited by shibiwan

No, there's no specific BUIS. All you do is zero the sights to a specific distance (50/200 yds on mine) and then learn how to hold over/under or use the elevation adjustment if there's one available. Note that most elevation calibrations for AR-style rifles are for 5.56

Edited by shibiwan

What everyone said about the MBUS Gen2 is true.  They are a great value and will serve you well.  BUT....your original post said your budget was $500, and there are plenty of decent NEW scopes in that price range that will get you buy....and hell may even be more than you need....for about $250 more, the quality and features increase.  So if you could save up to $750, you would have some really good glass.  For $500, you can have a solid piece of used kit with a little patience.

Now, you are talking about buying Back-Up Iron Sights which will cost you a minimum of $90 for a quality set.....that could be $90 you could add to your already $500 budget.  You know you want it scoped so don't throw money away on other sighting systems that you kinda don't want.  That is going to kill your funds that you could use to purchase better glass. 

There are some other really good options that are well within your budget.   

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper6-20x44

The Vortex glass is better, but both scopes will do what you need them to do.  I do not own the Primary Arms, but after seeing a couple, they appear to be a great value. 

The Vortex warranty is legendary, but I am sad to say that I have to use it twice on one of my Scopes.   They made it right.