• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Considering retail prices:

SMK 175 BTHP = $.40

45gr of IMR4064 (45/7000 x $29.99) = $0.1927   - (I made this 45gr instead of 41gr to account for loss/spills/stupidity)

Primer = $0.04

Brass = "free"

Total per round $0.6327

If you look around and find discounted prices, the cost can go down somewhat.

Edited by shibiwan

Depending on the bullet. .55 - .65 cents a round.

My LAR8 RR 260 Rem that I put together has NEVER had a factory round through it!  I bought a large number of compounts  about 4 years ago.  Hate to think what it will cost to replace them.   Or if  the same compounts are even going to still be available!

Respectfully

Terry

When I was in the business, I used to figgure the cost of reloads to be @ 1/2  of new ammo.   Most were a little less, depending on componuts used.

Considering retail prices:

SMK 175 BTHP = $.40

45gr of IMR4064 (45/7000 x $29.99) = $0.1927   - (I made this 45gr instead of 41gr to account for loss/spills/stupidity)

Primer = $0.04

Brass = "free"

Total per round $0.6327

If you look around and find discounted prices, the cost can go down somewhat.

About right. But if you do it right and tailor the load to your rifle, they are also more accurate. FGMM cant hold a candle to my tailored reloads for my 308's because I refined the load to the individual weapons.

About right. But if you do it right and tailor the load to your rifle, they are also more accurate. FGMM cant hold a candle to my tailored reloads for my 308's because I refined the load to the individual weapons.

Yep... I save all my brass but the FGMM ones seem to work even better for reloading.

When you guys tailor them I'm assuming it's a trail and error of what exactly? What is. Good book to read or video to watch.

A little bit of trial and error. If I hear a highly recommendd combination of bullet and powder from someone I respect, I will start to work with it. That is how I got Reloader15 and the 168 gr SMK combo. A former Army sniper recommended that combo to me. And for my Standard AR10 rifle it has worked out really well. For that 42 grains seems to be the sweet spot. Then it is going up and down by tenths of a grain until your groups are as small as you can get them consistently. That takes a while, but once you lock in on your rifles preference, you have the winning recipe for that rifle. Now I am working on my carbine with 175 SMK's and RE15, which is similar to Varget.

What I've used for 308's (in no order of preference) with various 168gr/175gr/180gr projos

• IMR 4064 (the "standard")
  • Varget  (the other "standard")
  • IMR 8208 XBR (works really well!!)
  • RE15
  • AA 4064 (meters better than the IMR twin)
  • CFE-223 (higher velocities!!)

Stuff that is supposed to work but sucks:

• IMR 4320
Edited by shibiwan

When you guys tailor them I'm assuming it's a trail and error of what exactly? What is. Good book to read or video to watch.

I start at about 5% below the "ideal" published load (not max load) and go up a little bit at the time.

Here's a good starting point if you're using the SMK bullets.

Also get a loading manual. Have at least one. I use the Hornady manual. On top of that, look for "good recipes" out there that match your rifle. All these are good starting points in developing and tinkering with a load.

Learn the different signs that indicate different scenarios. My 308 always seems to show overpressure signs (flat or slightly cratered primer) no matter how much I back off on the powder or adjust the C.O.A.L. 

Most important in reloading is consistency. Do everything the same way. Ensure everything is the same, check, check, check... this gets you rounds that are predictable, and hopefully, accurate. :D

Another question, can you seat the bullet to the brass to get an over length specific to your chamber? Or is that a bolt action thing?

You can if you want to, but bear in mind that you're limited by the magazine so about 2.8" is max.

Remember that if you adjust the overall length, the corresponding pressures will go up or down as you adjust the bullet to seat deeper or shallower.

Cali Ed - just so you know  - I could give you a metric $hit-ton of information.

It is my decision to not give you ANY information, based on your "folly" of your 800m target.

People chose to help you through your build, through your shooting questions, etc.  You must have thought that was a joke, and you made fun of us.  At this time - just so you know - the joke is now on you.

There are many of us that will not help you anymore.  Your questions will go un-answered, and the meaninful information you wish to seek is now gone.  Those that know will not respond.

I wish you luck, and I hope you do well in your shooting endeavors.

Pretty fucking funny, yeah?!  HAHA!  <lmao>