• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

10 shot group

.308LiteHunter

I was lucky enough to get an Elk tag for this November,and I've been working on a load for the hunt.

I'm going with 180grain Sierra Pro Hunters over

40.7grains of Varget.

On a recent post Stain made a great comment (to paraphrase)

3 shot groups tell a tale, 5 tell a story, and 10 shot groups tell the truth.

I shot this ten shot group about a month ago.

post-13718-0-80974400-1409413850_thumb.j

First time I tried to write on the picture like this so hope it's clear.

Rifle is a DPMS Lite hunter, 18" barrel, shot prone off a bipod. DMR trigger, which I sold a kidney for.

I'm sure some of the group spread is because of inexperience with the trigger, proper shooting techniques etc. I don't have any training like most of you.

I don't shoot 2" groups at 800

I am not a troll

And I can't figure out how to use those $@$# emoticons anymore

I'm here to learn from you guys, so be as honest as you want, if it's a $hit group and not worth more time let me know.

Have a great Labor day weekend guys!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I'm happy with it for elk to.

Looks like I should have reviewed my post. That was my 3rd attempt, lost it a couple times trying to upload the picture. I left out the most important part.

What I would like to know is what can this grouping tell me ( in general,or specifically) about my barrel/shooting.

The first 5 shots are good enough but the last part of the group is real loose.

Do you think the last shots in the group are from the barrel heating up?

Just looking to learn how to pick apart a string of 10 shots and learn from it.

Good chance your last shots are shooter error. I experience it often. First few im like hell yeah im gonna have a new one for the wall! Then I proceed to poop out every technique ive learned and throw bricks down range. Orrr it could be a heat up but normally would toss em in a steady stream north

Not to knock Serrias, but I'v been watching, and taking, Elk for the last 25 years in the mountians of south west Colorado.  Sierras either go completly through, like a solid, or destruct, nearly on impact.

Use a PREIMUN bullett, Noslers, Swift, Barnes, etc.

The bullet is a VERY small part of the cost of the hunt.   It only makes siense to use the best.

I'v shot literally hundreds of thousands of Sierras over the last 50 years.  For accuracy, their the best.   For hunting, not so much.

Respectfully

Terry

ADD:  Its the first bullett from a COLD bbl that matters!   Not the tenth.   Make sure you know where the FIRST  bullet goes.  T.

Edited by Tripledeuce

Good chance your last shots are shooter error. I experience it often. First few im like hell yeah im gonna have a new one for the wall! Then I proceed to poop out every technique ive learned and throw bricks down range. Orrr it could be a heat up but normally would toss em in a steady stream north

Yep very likely shooter error. Although those last shots did seem to climb a little, so maybe a combination of both?

Thanks for posting the picture of your shot group as the barrel heated up, now I know what to look for.

Were those pics from the same rifle? Heavy barrel?

Edited by .308LiteHunter

Not to knock Serrias, but I'v been watching, and taking, Elk for the last 25 years in the mountians of south west Colorado.  Sierras either go completly through, like a solid, or destruct, nearly on impact.

Use a PREIMUN bullett, Noslers, Swift, Barnes, etc.

The bullet is a VERY small part of the cost of the hunt.   It only makes siense to use the best.

I'v shot literally hundreds of thousands of Sierras over the last 50 years.  For accuracy, their the best.   For hunting, not so much.

Respectfully

Terry

ADD:  Its the first bullett from a COLD bbl that matters!   Not the tenth.   Make sure you know where the FIRST  bullet goes.  T.

Good to know. Guess I'll need try something different. Care to share your recipes for hunting loads?

You are absolutely correct about the cold bore shot being the one that matters, I just want to see how a good of a group I can shoot with handloads, and learn from the groups I shoot.

Provided that you are doing everything else right, I would say that is poor trigger follow through and the attempt to drive the gasser like a bolt gun.  I only say that because your first shots are good, then you pull right, then you go high.  Not indicative of a hot string.  Just my observation...

And as stated, your rifle may not like that round the best.

Edited by StainTrain

Provided that you are doing everything else right, I would say that is poor trigger follow through and the attempt to drive the gasser like a bolt gun.  I only say that because your first shots are good, then you pull right, then you go high.  Not indicative of a hot string.  Just my observation...

And as stated, your rifle may not like that round the best.

Or he changed sight picture.  308LH, did you take a break (rest your eyes or something, maybe change/move your elbows, move body position?) between those major impact areas? 

1-2-3-4 are good, same area.  5-6 moved right.  7-8-9-10 moved up.  3 major impact areas, something changed between the 3 of them. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Yeah, I don't normally shoot 10 round groups, usually 3-5. I'm sure that I moved around some. Probably all of the above.

I remember during that outing that I had a piece of brass bounce off the leg of the table next to me( my Dad was shooting off it) and roll up on my arm burnt the $hit out of me. Might have been during that group can't remember.

Either way I see what you are getting at.

It's hard to tell what it could be, just based on a target pic - some things are obvious, like verticle stringing due to breathing, though (not you, just in general).

When you get down behind the gun, try to make sure that you do the exact same thing, every shot - it HAS to be consistent.  Always fire on the full exhale - natural respiratory pause.  Once you settle in and have your natural point of aim squared away, don't move - unless you check your natural point of aim again before the next shot.  Trigger follow-through, every single shot.  Same sight picture, same sight alignment (through a scope, you really don't have to worry about sight alignment). 

The things that will affect you everytime are sight picture, sight alignment, breathing, trigger control and body position.  If one of those is different shot-to-shot, then your target will reflect it.

And bees.  Don't fuk with bees - get outta there.  <lmao>

Edited by 98Z5V