• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

10 shot group

.308LiteHunter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out this am and noticed when loading up on my bipod the dam rubber feet on my Harris roll forward like a wheel. Made for a slopy target for sure. 5 shot groups were ok but the next 5 in sequence were me over compensating the roll factor? I've had these legs for over a year and just noticed this today. Variables suck sometimes.

Not sure if my 2 cents is going to help you or not. If the rifle is new, it make take some shooting to break it in. Keep it well oiled and gas rings clean, once the rings have some carbon build up and combine with some shooting the action becomes more and more sticky to cycle. In other words, the smoother the action unlocks and moves reward the lower the vertical spread will be.

With vertical strining make sure the action is cleaned and then retest the ammo. 

With varget, I would increase the powder charge, try 43.0g with a winchester or remington case. Military cases, back off a grain as they are much heavier.

Good luck!!

There are so many variables in getting tight groups of ten . Absolutely the first shot in hunting is the most important & that is where your rifle should be sighted in for , but there are variables there also , like temperature when rifle sighted in .  Some powders or even factory ammo , shoot differently in colder or warmer temperatures . Knowing how your load & or factory ammo & where it shoots is good to know .

This is all taken for granted that the rifle is clean & well lubed , as was said above . The ten shot string is IMO , is testing the barrel & its potential . Its something that is not needed for a hunting rifle , sure its good to know , but not necessary.

Also try different bullet weights , as also been said , the barrel/ chamber may not like that load or bullet .

And as you already know , practice will make you a better shot , well , at least it should . <dontknow> <laughs>

I have had a Harris bipod for decades and have used it quite a bit with several different rifles.  It certainly makes shooting off a rest much easier, but I have never been impressed with the groups I have fired when using the thing.  It often makes the groups wander and open up significantly. 

I would suggest that you get some sand bags and try the rifle without the bipod.  That may not be the problem, but it is easy to check. 

The bipod can introduce a variety of different forces on the rifle that can't always be replicated easily for each shot.  The relationship between the rifle and a good rest that is not attached to the rifle is much more repeatable.

I think understanding the bipods role is crucial to getting the most out of it.   I am fortunate enough to see both novice and advanced shooters alike employ the bipod.  I see unloaded bipods and bipods loaded with the force of hoover dam behind it.  You should only load it with the resting weight of your core.  If you are shooting off a pack (which yes, you can shoot really well that way), you are not actively driving the rifle, you are merely resting it.  The loaded bipod affords you the opportunity to mitigate recoil and maintain control of your rifle shot after shot.  

IMO opinion, when you shoot a semi auto (be it 5.56 or .308) without loaded the bipod, slung or pressed barricade, you are not getting the most the platform has to offer (rapid follow up shots without bolt manipulation for one).  If you find it difficult to get a consistent load with the harris, take a look at the atlas.  I suggest that before scrapping the bipod all together.  

Again, I want to stress, shooting off a pack and sandbags is excellent and allow for great shots, I just think a properly employed bipod is better.  

Edited by StainTrain

^^^  Along with that - The rubber feet on the Harris make it difficult to load, in a benchrest situation - seems that they would grip concrete good, but they really don't. Very smooth concrete is worse - They slide forward.  Stick that Harris in the dirt and rocks, and it does much better.  <thumbsup>

^^^^^^^Yep

These help:

http://www.diamondxcustom.com/shop/4585061671/harris-bipod-spikes/8288791

They have several different styles of feet out there and some guys custom make them.  Phoenix Tactical used to make a very nice pair that you could load on a lot of surfaces....

All that to say, you guys have seen the benefits and limitations of the harris set up.  It is a classic set up that most people are familiar with.  .......enter the Atlas Bipod.  It has adjust-ability to accommodate a variety of positions and surfaces.......however....a hard surface is a hard surface and just like with the harris, your best bet may come from driving the bipod into the edge of that hard surface to load it that way.    

Edited by StainTrain

I know nothing of shooting from a bi-pod. How does one "load" a bi-pod, and why?

Respectfully

Terry

Loading the bipod is simply shifting one's weight or center of gravity towards the rifle muzzle so that there is tension in the bipod legs. It helps manage the recoil impulse and also makes your natural point of aim much easier to maintain. Done correctly, if you've got good optics you can follow your shot just as with a bolt gun.

back to the cold barrel first shot yes it is the most important shot ..... Ok you make your load and BTW you want to shoot Barnes 168 grain TTSX bullets you will need no other....... now you have done all the work you have a load worked up and the rifle is shooting great ,you clean the rifle and get ready for opening day..... STOP! biggest mistake I see huys make is they do not understand a fouling shot.. it is a rare rifle that CLEAN will shoot point of impact as it did dirty so...... you clean the rifle and then go shoot one round to foul the barrel now the rifle should shoot the same place as your last group.... now go kill a elk and then invite me over for a back strap dinner. I am going for elk number 36 this year have fun and shoot straight.

back to the cold barrel first shot yes it is the most important shot ..... Ok you make your load and BTW you want to shoot Barnes 168 grain TTSX bullets you will need no other....... now you have done all the work you have a load worked up and the rifle is shooting great ,you clean the rifle and get ready for opening day..... STOP! biggest mistake I see huys make is they do not understand a fouling shot.. it is a rare rifle that CLEAN will shoot point of impact as it did dirty so...... you clean the rifle and then go shoot one round to foul the barrel now the rifle should shoot the same place as your last group.... now go kill a elk and then invite me over for a back strap dinner. I am going for elk number 36 this year have fun and shoot straight.

Amen.