• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My Skeet & Trap Gun :)

seasprite

post-12828-0-74018800-1410826369_thumb.j

Went to the range Saturday and shot a game of skeet & trap with some friends and I tell ya thats was some entertainment. I only scored 10 clays on skeet and 15 on trap so only 25 out of 50 not to bad for me. I'm going to work this into my shooting schedule more often.  :hunter: 

Oh by the way my gun is a Beretta AL390 love to shoot this thing.

Trap uses a gun with a different stock.  The comb is higher , and the gun shoots high.

Skeet uses the same dimensions as a regular field gun.

And, yes, I'v shot a few thousand rounds of both trap and skeet.   With all kinds of guns.  From 410 to 10 ga, trap, skeet, and field guns.

The most fun I had was shooting a 20 ga field grade  Browning .

Respectfully

Terry

That takes me back...we had that exact fireplace when I was a kid. (5-10)

Man, I've seen guys pull high scores with a mossberg 500 and a buttstock with a pistol grip. Shoot the shot outta that 390 and when the gun becomes your limitation....then worry about that BS. You will eventually hear it from some shotgun snob that rolls in with a $12k beretta (or worse) and you can laugh the whole way home when you outshoot him, or land within a couple of him. Had just as much fun for 11.5k less.

I don't know, those guys who shoot Perazzis, Kreighoffs and Purdys tend to be damned good shooters.

An old man with a $25k Perazzi 28ga.who had to shoot 5 stand while sitting on a stool was kicking everyone's azz at Tampa Sporting Clays the last time I went. (Several years ago).

I've never seen anyone shooting a pistol gripped Mossberg at any of the clays ranges I've been to.

Edited by Microgunner

Grew up with some friends whose parents had Perazzis, Kreighoffs, and Purdys.  And Parkers, Berettas, Remingtons, and Winchesters.

When they invited me to skeet shoot the first time, I said I didn't have a decent shotgun.  They said "We have something that will fit you.  Far too many people at the club have expensive guns and can't shoot.  Worry about you and not the shotgun."

One of the guy's that went with us had a double barrel that malfunctioned (both fired at once) so he switch to this police style pump shotgun sucker was short and did pretty decent with it given how short it was. I know he could of done better if he would of used one of the others guns we were using. He ended up with 17 out of 50 and was second best score. Tells you how experienced we our at this  :hunter: Did see what looked to some nice guns up there but I couldn't tell you if they were high dollar or not, don't know that much about shotguns other than there fun to shoot. No snobs on this day it seemed that a lot of the shooters were practicing for wing shooting I know dove is already open don't know when duck and goose starts.

I'll just keep my 390 I got for $300.00 from my brother who was needing money at the time. Next time I go I'll try to get some pics or video to upload.  

I don't think I was clear. You aren't going to beat everyone with a fancy shotgun. It will be the snob that looks down at your 390 that will be fun to stomp (you will of course have to practice up a little). I'd bet that old boy shooting from a stool could school you with a wrist rocket. His 25000 Perazzi is just a nice perk. I could buy a race car, but I bet Mario Andretti (and most racers) would stick kick my ass with a smart car.

Don't remember coming across too many snobs at the ranges I frequented.

In fact, the guy with the Rolls Royce in the parking lot was usually very down to earth and readily happy to help a newbie out.

Tampa Sporting Clays was partially owned by Gen "Stormin Norman" Swartzkoff. (He hated that nickname and preferred "The Bear" , he was as big as a bear).

I met him many times and every time he was teaching a Boy Scout troup or youth group how to shoot, for free. He supplied everything.

He was more typical of what I've seen, the opposite of snobbish.

And the old guy was very nice. He noticed me admiring his shotgun and allowed me to shoot a round of 5 stand with it. He even supplied the shotshells since I was shooting 12ga. That was the first 28ga I'd ever fired and damn, was it a nice shooter.

I really like 28 gauge mine is my grandpas single shot, my dad has a Remington express pump that he bought after I was "old enough" to

Have/use the single shot.