• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

So, I'm building a 1911...

Madhouse

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention, I have a jig to grind down the tangs on the back of the frame to accomodate a beavertail safety, so I will be doing that later on too.

Can you post a pic of the jig? There are two different contours of beavertails, the Wilson and the Ed Brown. I can tell which jig you have if you can post a pic.

Can you post a pic of the jig? There are two different contours of beavertails, the Wilson and the Ed Brown. I can tell which jig you have if you can post a pic.

Smith & Alexander also make jigs in the Ed Brown style, in two different sizes.  I have a .220" jig for the S&A grip safety I installed on the Springfield 1911.  S&A were the only people making a grip safety without that stupid "extension pad" on it.

That hammer looks like its an extended hammer & may be why it hit the grip safety . A STD Combat Commander Hammer would have worked with that STD 1911 Grip safety  Just get a Beaver Gripe Safety when you get a chance if you want more of the recoil spread over a wider area on the web of your hand .

I have also seen the Grip safeties with a notch , just for the extended hammers .

I like the frame also .

Yeah, I'm gonna get with this same seller and get several more of these frames now. That one only ran $175, and I bet he'd give me a discount on multiples.

AR builds just got too boring lately. I still have several to do, but I see 1911 work in my foreseeable future.

I haven't shot it yet, but I did the pencil test and the firing pin is working!  :banana:

I bought the frame for $175 and the complete parts kit for $300, so $475 total in this gun (aside from the specialized tools I had to buy, but I'll be using those again).

I'm going to completely tear it down again, I still want to work the trigger action a little, I think I can improve it.  Then it's to the range.  <thumbsup>

I'm going to completely tear it down again, I still want to work the trigger action a little, I think I can improve it.  Then it's to the range.  <thumbsup>

Be very, VERY careful here!  This is where I fouled up a textbook trigger job on mine by thinking "I can get it perfecter...D'OH!"

Ok my 1911 guru guides, I have a question.

Do you see any need in chamfering the holes on the inside of the frame for the legs of the safety plunger?  I have the tool to expand those hollow legs, but I had seen where some guys took a round bit on a dremel and cupped those openings a bit on the inside.  Is this necessary?

And a comment back on the hammer and hammer strut assembly - the roll pin was the pin (in this particular kit) for that purpose.  There was no other pin for it.

I have always chamfered the holes like you described, with a ball shaped cutting bit in a Dremel. The other thing you should do is put a drop of red loctite on each of the posts of the plunger tube before putting it in the frame and staking it. The loctite fills the voids and after it sets up it keeps the plunger tube from moving around in the frame. We used to do the same thing with front sights on 1911's back when we were staking them on the slide, back before dovetail front sights became common. We chamfered the hole for the front sight tenon inside the slide too before staking.