• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

So, I'm building a 1911...

Madhouse

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always chamfered the holes like you described, with a ball shaped cutting bit in a Dremel. The other thing you should do is put a drop of red loctite on each of the posts of the plunger tube before putting it in the frame and staking it. The loctite fills the voids and after it sets up it keeps the plunger tube from moving around in the frame. We used to do the same thing with front sights on 1911's back when we were staking them on the slide, back before dovetail front sights became common. We chamfered the hole for the front sight tenon inside the slide too before staking.

<thumbsup>

Like the Sig 1911R Scorpion that's all FDE?  Or would you do the frame in DFDE and leave the parts all blued?

Mix two colors.  Dark Earth the frame, and make the small bits something lighter or darker - like Patriot Brown. 

Dirt colors are a hell of alot of fun.  <thumbsup>

Example...  >:D

post-7-0-93796100-1412833370_thumb.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

Well hot damn.  I took it to the range on Saturday, ran 26 rounds through it, zero malfunctions.  It actually shot pretty well, everything was just left of center.  I did have a couple of FTF, but only with a KimPro mag.  The GI mag that came in the parts kit worked just fine.

So, I'm pretty damned pleased, and I've already contacted my guy about a few more stripped frames.   :banana:

Awesome! Glad to hear it and congrats!

Well hot damn.  I took it to the range on Saturday, ran 26 rounds through it, zero malfunctions.  It actually shot pretty well, everything was just left of center.  I did have a couple of FTF, but only with a KimPro mag.  The GI mag that came in the parts kit worked just fine.

So, I'm pretty damned pleased, and I've already contacted my guy about a few more stripped frames.   :banana:

Who knew heroin came in metal?  <dontknow>

• 1 month later...