• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Can't decide... 18" or 20" bbl

Croaker

I looked at the FA 18.5 and liked most of the specs but the one that takes the .75" gas block (which I already have) is a lightweight profile (I don't think I want) and the medium contour barrel takes a .936 gas block, so they were eliminated for those reasons. (actually my last-man-standing selection process is based on eliminations ^-^ )

Why not a .936 GB profile? Mine is mind-bogglingly accurate....

M4 feed ramps ? We are talking about a 308AR correct ? 

You could be making this a little too complicated , the head scratching is a clue  <thumbsup>

Mid length will work , the only difference between a mid & rifle will ( maybe) be a little more recoil & all actions can be tweaked with a different Buffer , buffer spring or both & then you can also get into a adjustable gas block .

The reason for the 16" coming up so much is weight & the 20" will add to that figure . I can tell you my 16" shoots just a well as my 20" @ 200 yards . I will be going much further this spring in my barrel comparisons . I don't see any advantage to the longer barrel or very little out to 600 yards & if I had a choice of carrying one or the other , the 16" would win hands down .

The M4 feed ramps are not needed in a 308AR rifle . I'll post some photo's of my Fulton Armory , Kreiger Criterion barrels feed ramps for your viewing .

Here's my 16" FA barrel , if this has M4 feed ramps , do you have the corresponding ramp cuts in your lower  Upper receiver ?

post-11255-0-40157500-1416882569_thumb.j

Edited by survivalshop

SS has it right.  I own a 16 inch and the 18 inch (which is still for sale, I'm lazy) and have a 20 inch that is issued to me.  I must prefer my 16 inch over all of those.  I have been able to hit targets and take small and medium game with no issues.  The 18 inch was my favorite, but I like the maneuverability of the 16 inch.  The 20 inch is a beast even without the suppressor (saying it has a heavy barrel is an understatement). 

Edited by StainTrain

I ment to type Upper <dontknow>  , I fixed it . Doooooooo!

The choice of course is yours on barrel length & we are just putting our experiences forward, for you to scratch you head with . <thumbsup>

If you look at my comparison data , there is about 100 FPS  loss between the 20" & 16" , so an 18" would be some where around 50 fps  & if you look at the IMR 4064,in some loads there is almost no noticeable difference in Velocity between the two Barrels . so to me barrel length between a 16, 18 & 20 " doesn't mean enough to chose one over the other , as far as FPS . All loads we tested with DPMS 308AR's

If your building a bench rifle , by all means go with a 20" HB. 

post-11255-0-20073300-1416929373_thumb.j

Im having this same dilema deciding which barrel to go with, 16", 18" or 20", for my Aero Precision M5 (.308) Stripped Receiver Set. <dontknow> Im going to be hunting white tail deer ect... with it, target range area out to about 250yds.

16 will serve you wll in that role. I have killed WTD with all three lengths and they all tasted the same......delicious.

Edited by StainTrain