• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rock River 1911's

Armed Eye Doc

Rock River got back into producing 1911's.  They have several models to choose from, but they are pricey.  They start at $925 for the new 1911 poly and go up to $3600. :eek:   They don't look as good as the one that Madhouse put together either.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=559

Nice pistol,with all the options no threaded barrel ? What the difference with shooting hardball vs. semi-wadcutter ? For the money Sig or Kimber are good options but it is a Rock River. ^-^

The funky SWC bullet shape causes feeding issues with the standard feed ramp and chamber configuration.  Probably super polished and throated for the SWCs.

Used to be lots of gunsmiths doing that work...not so much anymore.

The funky SWC bullet shape causes feeding issues with the standard feed ramp and chamber configuration.  Probably super polished and throated for the SWCs.

You really think so? I've been shooting 200 grn. SWC in every .45 cal. 1911 I've had in my hands for the last 25 years and they don't seem to be a problem. The last gun I ran them through was Rene's Sig and they worked fine after I fixed the ill designed extractor Sig uses. As far as i know his gun had not had any reliability work done to it before I got it. I have a new RIA 1911 that I'm going to try with those bullets as soon as the weather gets a little better.

Now, that being said, the old 185 grn. SWC (which you very rarely see these days) was a very short nose design that caused all sorts of feeding problems.

Yup. I really think so.

Go back and dig through the gun rags from 50-60 years ago.

So you're basing your statement on 50 year old schitt that you read in a book! Damn Jon, the barrel feed ramps on the 1911's from back then were a totally different shape than what's being put out as standard now! Also, that far back would be those short nosed 185 grn. SWC that you don't see much of any more. They were popular in the bullseye matches back in the day but the gun pretty much had to be modified to function with them. Most all SWC bullets for the 45 are now the 200 grn. with a longer nose and they feed pretty good in the majority of the 1911's being made today.

These are the old 185 grn SWC that you can't hardly find any more;

post-12453-0-38002300-1422061174_thumb.j

These are the 200 grn SWC that is the most common 45 SWC being used now;

post-12453-0-95290500-1422061265_thumb.j

These are the old 185 grn SWC that you can't hardly find any more;

attachicon.gif185 grn.jpg

These are the 200 grn SWC that is the most common 45 SWC being used now;

attachicon.gif200 grn..jpg

Laser Cast (Oregon Trail Bullet Company) does some of these, too - thinking about trying them out.  I'm using their 405gr 45-70 cast bullets, and the damn things are VERY nice!

Hit the 45 Cal page and check what they have:

http://oregontrailbullet.com/shop/

Yup. I really think so.

Go back and dig through the gun rags from 50-60 years ago. Or, if you have some of the Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks books, dig through those and they should have some mention of it.

Not that I really know anything about this but I just watched somthing on TV about this not to long ago on on of the week night hun shows

Oh and I stayed at a holiday inn express