• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Which powder for 9mm and 223

Cali_Ed

Get a couple different reloading books.  It never hurts to cross-check.  I'd suggest Hornady, Speer (which is Sierra/CCI), and a Lee manual. Hodgdon releases an update to their manual annually, in the form of a magazine - it's very well worth finding, too.

Trimming brass if you are reloading brass shot in the firearm you are reloading for measure the cleaned and inspected, resized cases and they may not need to be trimmed. Lyman, RCBS AND Lee make easy to use case trimmers. Right now you need to do a lot of reading and studying before doing serious reloading. Reloading can be good but using the wrong powder or the wrong amount of powder can be dangerous. My teenage son destroyed a Colt gold cup barrel because he fired a reload with no powder that lodged a 220 grain F.M.J. bullet half way in the barrel in rapid fire then fired a good round. The 1911 locked up with the slide all the way back and the barrel was swelled but not ruptured. He was lucky not to have a mangled hand. The Colt govt. Model is one tough pistol. Glad it wasn't a S & W wheel gun.

Edited by mrmackc

I have never trimmed pistol brass .

I use Unique & Bullseye Powders  for 9mm & 45 acp, but there are other good powders out there , the problem is , finding the ones you like , in stock . IMR 4064  works with .223,308 & I use a pulldown MilSpec Powder , a ball powder , WC 846 for .223 & 308 ammo , very good powder . 

If your 9mmm can shoot HP bullets , try some in the varying weights . I'm loading 147 gr. FMJHP 's from Magtec & they shoot pretty good . 115 gr. works well of course .
   .223 , I like 55 gr. FMJ's & 62 gr. FMJ's ,the ones with out the penetrator , they seem to shoot well in any twist rate . I also use 52gr. SMK's ,55 gr. SMK's , 69gr. SMK's , 62 gr. Barnes TTSX . The Barnes shoot really well , but pricey for practice .

I use the wft for my 308, now I wish I would a got the one I could switch out calibers. Boooo

I have never trimmed pistol brass .

I use Unique & Bullseye Powders for 9mm & 45 acp, but there are other good powders out there , the problem is , finding the ones you like , in stock . IMR 4064 works with .223,308 & I use a pulldown MilSpec Powder , a ball powder , WC 846 for .223 & 308 ammo , very good powder .

If your 9mmm can shoot HP bullets , try some in the varying weights . I'm loading 147 gr. FMJHP 's from Magtec & they shoot pretty good . 115 gr. works well of course .

.223 , I like 55 gr. FMJ's & 62 gr. FMJ's ,the ones with out the penetrator , they seem to shoot well in any twist rate . I also use 52gr. SMK's ,55 gr. SMK's , 69gr. SMK's , 62 gr. Barnes TTSX . The Barnes shoot really well , but pricey for practice .

Thanks for the info brother

I pretty much have a Manual for any of the bullet manufacturers I use . They are good reference , these Bullet Manufacturers do a lot of R&D with their Bullets . Something I can not say about other's Manuals . You can join an online reloaders forum & get plenty of info , but you have to take individuals loading practices with a grain of salt , so too speak.