• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mega or SI Defense receiver set

912dawg

This is my first AR build. I'm new to the forum, and I've been reading tons of posts trying to get as much information as possible. I'd like to go with a DPMS sass 18" barrel. Which brand receiver set would you guys recommend, Mega or SI Defense? Are there any major benefits or consequences with one over the other, or is it more just personal preference? Thank you in advance for your guidance.

In retrospect, I would have gone with a cheaper alternative like Aero Precision, and saved the extra money for the barrel and trigger, as it seems as long as there is a good tight fit, it the rest of the receiver doesn't really matter...unless you need full ambi.

Edited by D.R.D.

What brand is your Lower Receiver ? Any more , even with AR 15 's , I like to keep the Upper & Lower receivers the same manufacturer or matched set if buying them together .

Sorry about the last post. Still getting the hang of this. I don't have a lower yet. I wanted to buy a "matching" set (upper and lower) from the same company to try to have the best fit between the two. Any recommendations on matching sets like the ones Mega and SI Defense offer? I don't need ambi controls, just thought it would add some cool points.

• 3 weeks later...

any quirks or special parts needed for si-defense 308 receivers, just bought 3 matched sets? want to use a nickel/boron bcg and either use a cmmg 16 inch ss/melonited bbl rifle gas system or a criterion ss 16 carbine gas system. car stock.anybody have any info on these 2 bbls?

Where are you seeing a Criterion 16" with Carbine gas system ?  Carbine gas system in a 308 is a beater of components , unless you plan on using a adj. gas block . CMMG , well my friend has a CMMG with an 18" barrel & it shoots pretty good .

I like my NIB Bolt carrier , cleans up easy .

• 1 month later...