• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tale of the Targets. Charge weight & COAL

dpete

I just got back from my latest range trip and I'm smiling.  Its nice when a plan comes together.  The first target group is the charge weight ladder which I shot last week.  Nothing amazing jumped out at me during my round robin shooting, but the 48.7gr & 49.0gr charges had roughly the same POI centers so I went with 48.8 as my charge weight.  Hodgdon lists 49.0gr as top for CFE223 in a .308 and I wanted at least a little room below that.

afj1jd.jpg

The second set of targets is what I shot today.  All of the charges were 48.8gr of CFE223 and I stepped up by .005" for each group starting at 2.790".  Thanks to reading past posts here and taking the advice I received in my earlier post about cartridge length I pulled everything I had loaded below 2.790.  I stepped up to 2.815" instead, which is as long as I could go and still have clearance inside the Pmags I have.

25argc6.jpg

The lower left target is the 5 sighting shots I took before starting the round robin with the 6 lengths.  The 2.800" group is similarly shaped to the previous one I shot last week and I found it amazing how much the groups closed up as the bullets lengthened.  I think 2.815" is going to be a winner with this load.

Hornady 168gr HPBT Match #30501

Rem. .308 cases

CCI 200 primers

48.8 gr CFE223

post-15451-0-74590300-1428445323_thumb.j

post-15451-0-11897300-1428445808_thumb.j

Nice progression!

Your next task is to build two more rifles and optimize the load and oal for all three rifles.

Start.........   NOW! :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

LOL, I already have 3 other ARs that I load for.  A 5.56 Colt M4 and two 300 Blackouts, one a 16" carbine, the other an 8" pistol.  The 2 blackouts may not count though because they both shoot the same bullets equally well.

What are you seeeing there that I'm missing?  It was some of your past posts that got me thinking about trying various lengths.

Its good to try different COL's , all Chambers are different , whats good for one may not be the right or best for another .

The 2.795 are , to me , a more consistent grouping . The 2.800 & 2.815 " also show the same consistency , but I would rather have a Cartridge that I know will function in any mag. in my collection , than a very small difference in grouping .  It only takes one Cartridge in that mag to move under recoil to have a stoppage , when the COL takes up the available space in the mag.  seen it happen .    Good shooting .

It only takes one Cartridge in that mag to move under recoil to have a stoppage , when the COL takes up the available space in the mag.  seen it happen .    Good shooting .

I had wondered about being that close to the inside of the mag.  I'll have to do some measuring again on the Pmags and ASCs that I have and do some considering.  The stoppage part of it I hadn't thought of.   Thanks

Its good to try different COL's , all Chambers are different , whats good for one may not be the right or best for another .

The 2.795 are , to me , a more consistent grouping . The 2.800 & 2.815 " also show the same consistency , but I would rather have a Cartridge that I know will function in any mag. in my collection , than a very small difference in grouping .  It only takes one Cartridge in that mag to move under recoil to have a stoppage , when the COL takes up the available space in the mag.  seen it happen .    Good shooting .

This happened to me at our shoot at Jon's Range, with Vera. .223 loads measured to mag length for steel mags got stuck in the ThermoMelts. Remember that Tom !

I've only recently checked to see what it was because I was going to do similar testing with 175gr smk and was curious. My 168gr smk shoot quite well with that amount of jump and have even done ery well with hornady 110gr vmax with that jump. So having seating very close may not be as critical as I thought previously.

as stated before each barrel -chamber is different I have loaded for different calibetrs anywhere from 40  to 120 off the lands barnes bullets like a long jump back 20 some years ago when I started loading barnes it took a while to find this out they were a bitch to get a group with, now they are a much better bullet and much easier to load for each round , powder charge can effect jump but you will find the sweet spot for each rifle by experimenting.

take a black magic marker and cover the area around the ogive then gently chamber the round a( dummy round) I should have said with the  bullet seated very shallow so that when chambering it slides the bullet into the case when you take that round out there will be marks in the magic marker now you have the depth of your chamber and you can start adding jump to the bullet by seating it deeper ...it is a long process but it is worth it now in AR platforms you will be held to mag dimensions but with gun like a ruger number one (my preferred sniper rifle) your limits go away...

I run everything at 2.8, seems like it would be a bad idea lowering that on a compressed load?

Once again it depends on the powder charge.  If your rifle performs well on lighter charges you have more wiggle room to shorten the COAL and not run into pressure signs.  That was my reasoning with trying to lengthen my bullets OAL.  Seating farther out proportionally lowers the pressure as long as you aren't jamming the bullet into the lands. 

For comparison, the bullets in the opening post used Remington cases, 48.8 grains of CFE223, and the rifle liked the 2.815 length.  I found that using Hornady 308 Match cases the rifle liked the 2.815 length even more (100 yard group covered by a quarter).  Since then I've acquired about 2 gallons worth of LC brass and in that brass using the same Hornady 168 grain BTHP Match bullets the rifle is liking 47.5 grains as opposed to the 48.8 in my OP.  I'm still tweaking the LC charge weight and then will tweak the OAL to see what happens then.