• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle devices

wetncold

I always time mine to line up at like 11:58  and then just snug it by hand with a wooden dowel or a pin and using loc-tite only if need be or if the guy requests it. Ive never had one back off and I never glue em on, but im spoiled and grind mine to fit ^-^   Sometimes it doesnt take much, On a 24 thread pitch one degree is about  .00011"  but using a crush washer you would probably want to stay near those numbers 98 posted 20ft pounds or so.

I always time mine to line up at like 11:58  and then just snug it by hand with a wooden dowel or a pin and using loc-tite only if need be or if the guy requests it. Ive never had one back off and I never glue em on, but im spoiled and grind mine to fit ^-^   Sometimes it doesnt take much, On a 24 thread pitch one degree is about  .00011"  but using a crush washer you would probably want to stay near those numbers 98 posted 20ft pounds or so.

You time it to 11:58 at hand tightness?

I've tried timing them to 11 o'clock with hand tightness before using a wrench and every time I've had them work loose.

You time it to 11:58 at hand tightness?

I've tried timing them to 11 o'clock with hand tightness before using a wrench and every time I've had them work loose.

well not quite 1158 but you know what I mean. I never really crank on em with a wrench.

I think it really helps if the mating surfaces are very flat and square. I did one and just kinda snapped it tight with a quick flick of my fingers and I couldnt get it off by hand.

well not quite 1158 but you know what I mean. I never really crank on em with a wrench.

I think it really helps if the mating surfaces are very flat and square. I did one and just kinda snapped it tight with a quick flick of my fingers and I couldnt get it off by hand.

I wonder if it'd come off if you ran a bunch of strings of fire on it.

I had a muzzle device that I clocked to 11 o'clock with hand tightness, then used a wrench to get to TDC start to spin off during a carbine class. I was wondering why I felt like my muzzle was less controllable about 1/3 into the class and when I looked at my muzzle I noticed my compensator out of alignment.

Instead of loctite, look into Rockset. It isn't as effected by heat, but also can be forced out by hand.

My Ruger GSR has an AAC brakeout that is only hand tight (with shims), and the Rockset has held it in place since the day I installed it.

Rocksett's no joke. My Knight's flash hider had that stuff on there. It took a significantly greater amount of force to break than when I hand time the muzzle device to 10:30 and torque down with a wrench.

Rocksett is the equivalent of blue loc-tite, in holding strength.  If you can break blue loc-tite free, you can break Rocksett free.  However, Rocksett resists heat up to 1100 degrees.  Rocksett is soluable in water.

First, if you can't break Rocksett free, then you can't break blue loc-tite free, and you need to man-up.  Second, Rocksett isn't gonna fail with heat - you can put blue loc-tite through enough heat during a string of fire to make it fail.  That won't make Rocksett fail.  Third, if you can't break Rocksett free, stuff your barrel and muzzle device into a boiling pan of water for about a minute, and you can take that muzzle device off by hand.  Oh, and Oven Mitt.  Forgot the Oven Mitt.

Don't burn yourself.  <thumbsup>

Third, if you can't break Rocksett free, stuff your barrel and muzzle device into a boiling pan of water for about a minute, and you can take that muzzle device off by hand.  Oh, and Oven Mitt.  Forgot the Oven Mitt.

Un-Cure debonder also works on Rocksett.

• 2 weeks later...

Rocksett is the equivalent of blue loc-tite, in holding strength.  If you can break blue loc-tite free, you can break Rocksett free.  However, Rocksett resists heat up to 1100 degrees.  Rocksett is soluable in water.

First, if you can't break Rocksett free, then you can't break blue loc-tite free, and you need to man-up.  Second, Rocksett isn't gonna fail with heat - you can put blue loc-tite through enough heat during a string of fire to make it fail.  That won't make Rocksett fail.  Third, if you can't break Rocksett free, stuff your barrel and muzzle device into a boiling pan of water for about a minute, and you can take that muzzle device off by hand.  Oh, and Oven Mitt.  Forgot the Oven Mitt.

Thanks for this explanation.  I will be using this soon.