• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Forword assist or no forward assist

Robocop1051

So as I begin making plans to start my new build (my JD set sold fast), I am torn on whether or not to get my next receiver set with a forward assist. Does anyone see a need for these any more?

I rarely ever shoot NATO or other surplus ammo. One of the benefits of being raised in a LE family, and then becoming LE myself,  is the near limitless supply of decent ammo. To the best of my recollection, I don't think I've used a FA (AR15) in over 20 years. I remember as a teen I was blowing through bandoliers of some dirty old mil stuff, and I think maybe I used it then.

With the advancements in the 308 world, I'm seeing less and less FA's on new rifle builds. I'm wondering what you guys think about the "need" for a FA on a modern rifle. I understand their use and function, but I don't forsee fighting for my life in the jungles of a third world country anytime in the near future.

Most feel that the forward assist is not needed on the 308. The general feeling is that with the energy inherent in the 308 that if the bolt fails to close something is wrong with the weapon and a correction needs to be made. Manufacturers include the forward assist because people expect it as a carry over from the 5.56 gas gun.

For me personally the FA has no influence on my decision making. Being a left I do require a shell deflector though

My 6.5 creedmoor has FA..brothers 308 doesn't ...like his better...smooth cleaner lines to it..takes up less space width wise in gun safe is a plus.don’t ding stock or scope on other weapons taking it out or in

See, that's the stuff you forget about. I store all my bolt guns with bolt out or open for the same reason.

Tell me.....if you had a .308 round that didn't allow the bolt to close properly, would you use the FA to slam it home and then continue shooting?  Not me.....not by a long shot.  To much at stake.  In the field back when the M16 discovered to foul so badly, the FA was introduced so soldiers could slam home rounds into a fouled rifle and hopefully continue shooting in a dire situation.  The alternative was to fix a bayonets.  With us, however, if we have a round that doesn't chamber the last thing we are going to do is rely on a FA.  Rather, I'd hope that we investigate why it happened or at least clear that round rather than trying to hammer it into the chamber.  So, my DPMS LR308b does NOT have an FA and I agree that it's a lot slicker look and less complicated.  I have a couple of ARs too, one with an FA and one is a slab-side.  I've never used the FA and never will. 

Rome

I think you're right on, hitting the forward assist and screwing something up worse in the middle of a firefight clearly isn't going to do anyone any favors. Practicing clearing drills is the way to go, it's simple, effective, and doesn't screw anything up when you do it right.

+1 to everything Cabinetman wrote.

I took this topic home with me, to discuss with the "Old Man". My father and I are both LE, with extensive backgrounds using AR15's and M16's. At the beginning of the conversation he insisted that a FA was important. Then as he thought about it more, he hadn't used the FA in over 20 years. Even then, that was after hundreds of rounds of ammo shot in semi and full auto. By the end of the conversation, not only did he agree with me, but he wants a new upper for his personal AR15 without a FA.

If the "Old Man" agrees with the logic. Then there mut be something to it.

Better to have and not need then need and not have...

Personally, I wouldn't buy an AR, 10 pattern or otherwise, without one...After fourteen years in the military split between the Corps and Army, and another eighteen as a LEO, the last twelve years with ARs, the last ten as a LE Firearms Instructor, I've found that a great many things beside improperly sized ammunition can cause a rifle to bobble; like dust, dirt, fouling, limited mobility, tight spaces, weak users, and even a lack of lubrication after amphibious stuff, severe rain, poor maintenance(or a combination) can cause the BCG to hang up just enough to avoid going fully into battery. Without a FA, your options are to either try and push on the side of the BCG with limited access and leverage through the ejection port, or cycle another round and hope it doesn't hang up a second time...With a FA, tap and go...As in all things, YMMV...

Just my 2cents on the topic.  I thought I didn't need FA on a .308 for the same reasons as above until I went hunting with it a few months back, and following saftey procedures unload before climbing into a tree stand. Got in place QUIETLY inserted mag and then thought- If I let this BCG go I'm gonna scare everything in a 10mi radius away. I slowly rode it forward and at that point wished I had FA to seat the round. I had no choice but to let it slam. If anyones got some methods for this issue without using FA I'd be happy to learn.

When I first started reloading for the AR 15 , I over crimped a few rounds & pushed the shoulder back enough to cause those rounds to not completely chamber & I used the forward assist to seat them .

Of course ,once I found out why I was having problems , I used to hand feel the crimp on all reloads till I got a Taper crimp die & have not had to use the FA since ,in any of my AR's or the M16's I used to own . ( that was back in the seventies )

As said above ,its good to have & not use than need & not have.

I have one of my AR 308's that has it & the other doesn't & haven't needed it yet in ether one .

I still go through the drill of hitting the FA when I've chambered the first round on the ones that do have it ( habit I guess ) .