• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Introduction of .308 Lover and RevoLution powder in the .308

.308 Lover

Hi, folks.  I'm 64 years old and have been reloading since 1972.  I was into handguns or a long time, mostly .44 magnums, but lately my tastes have switched more to rifles, mainly in .308 caliber.  I currently own six .308 rifles, four semi-auto's, one Browning BLR and a Remington VSS (Varmint Special Synthetic).

Lately I have been shooting my Browning BLR, which I have accurized.  It shoots really well now.  I took off the 2X7 Burris mini-scope and put on a Shepherd P2 range-finding scope, the "Varmint" model in 6X18 just to shoot groups.  It will go 3 shots in less than a half inch (and occasionally 5 shots too, if I do my part).  The best load so far is 46.5 gr. (or 46 gr. of Varget) with 165 gr. Sierra "Game King" bullets.  Velocity with the 46.5 gr. load in my 20" barrel is 2732 fps.  The rest of the recipe for this load is WW cases and CCI 200 primers.  Over-all length I keep to 2.80 inches to work in any of my rifles that has a magazine.  This is not a maximum load in the BLR, but it is getting close with this powder.  

All of the .308 bullets I shoot are moly-coated.  I will mention this in any load I put on this forum because moly-coated bullets can handle more powder (and give you more velocity and less barrel cleaning) than non-coated bullets.  I know some people like the moly coating and some don't.  I have used the spray moly and the powder and they are a little different.  The powder is harder to apply but cleans easily.  I haven't cleaned my barrel from shooting the BLR with the spray moly yet and I have about 100 rounds through it now.  I hear that stuff is hard to clean out.  Fortunately, that doesn't have to be done too often.  Out of guilt, I cleaned my DPMS .308 LR after 150 rounds after using the powdered moly, but it really wasn't necessary yet.

I also have been interested in trying the LeveRevolution powder in the .308.  I have searched the web but I can find no evidence of anyone trying this powder in this caliber, though I may be wrong about this.  I have tried this powder in the .308.  As there is no loading data for this powder and the manufacturer does not recommend this powder for the .308, I had to come up with a place to start on my own.  Looking in the 2013 Hodgdon "Annual Manual" at all the calibers for which this powder is used, I noticed that the max load for LeveRevolution powder is over 2 grains higher than the max load for Varget powder.  So, as I am shooting 46.5 gr. of Varget with the moly-coated 165 Game King in my Browning BLR, I came up with what I thought should be a safe starting load of this bullet with 48 gr. of LeveRevolution.  That worked so I have worked up to 48.8 gr. in Federal cases with Remington 9 1/2 magnum primers.  Velocity with the 48.8 gr. of LeveRevolution powder is an average of 2859 fps from a 20" barrel.  I think that is pretty amazing as velocity should be at least 100 fps more from a 24" barrel.  This load puts a very small "crater" around the firing pin mark in my primer.  In my Browning BLR this pretty much signifies a max load.  I can barely feel the edge of the "crater" with my fingernail and it is barely visible unless you turn the primer to a 45 degree angle.

Next is to get the DPMS .308 LR, 24" stainless fluted barrel out and work on the 125 gr. Noslers and the IMI 147 gr. FMJ's.  My load of 44.8 gr. of Varget in Remington brass with a moly-coated (powder) Sierra MK 168 gr. bullet gives me 2722 fps in my Remington VSS and groups under 1/2" for five shots (.484 as near as I can measure it).  This load shoots the same sized groups in my DPMS rifle, but I haven't clocked the load in that rifle.

I put a Chip McCormick trigger in the DPMS rifle.  It is non-adjustable and gives a 3 1/2 lb. pull.  I have the single stage straight trigger.  The factory trigger pull was 10 1/2 to over 11 lbs.  Not good.  On this rifle sits a Vari-X III Leopold 4 1/2 to 14X 30 mm tube and 50 mm objective with a Boone and Crockett reticle.  The Remington VSS has a Shepherd 3.5 to 10.5 P2 scope on it, set from the factory for the Sierra 168 MK at 2700 fps.  I really like the Shepherd scopes.  No dots to count, no math to do.  Just put the 18" range-finding circle on a deer from the top of his leg to the top of his back and shoot.  If one circle is too big use the next smaller circle.  If one circle is too big and the next circle is too small then hold between the circles and shoot.  All you have to worry about is wind, which can be a problem at longer ranges.

I'm especially interested in hearing if anyone else has tried the LeveRevolution powder in the .308.  Remember, my loads are with moly-coated bullets with which you can use more powder than with non-coated bullets and that you use any internet loads (and really any loads at all) at your own risk.  Always start lower with any load you see and try to verify the validity of any internet load with loading manuals from powder and bullet manufacturers.

I'm glad to be here and I hope to make you folks happy to have me.

Welcome from AZ !

My 165grSGK VARGET Load was 44.0gr with Win WLR primers at 2.805"

Thanks so much.

There is a great article in Handloader magazine this issue about primers.  Have you seen it?  There aren't many articles about primers.  Sometimes you catch a story where they change from standard primers to magnum primes to see the velocity difference.

Your load is very similar to mine (the one for my DPMS .308 LR) at 44.8 gr. Varget at 2722 fps.

I'm getting crazy velocity out of my Browning BLR 20" barrel at 2732 fps and 2859 with LeveRevolution (48.8 gr.) with the Sierra Game King 165.  I also got close to 2800 with IMR 4895, but the load is not too accurate and is a little too hot.  I'm still experimenting.  Soon will come out the DPMS .308 LR to test 147 gr. moly IMI bullets and 125 gr. moly Noslers.  These don't want to shoot too well from the Browning.  Maybe because of the 1 in 12" twist.  I'll try them in 1 in 10" twist and see what happens.

Thanks so much.

There is a great article in Handloader magazine this issue about primers.  Have you seen it?  There aren't many articles about primers.  Sometimes you catch a story where they change from standard primers to magnum primes to see the velocity difference.

You just replied to The Primer Ninja.  Not sure if you're aware of that or not...  <lmao>

Classic 98 !

Ball powder is the only reason to change to a magnum primer if your load already works. Match primer ,Military primer or Bench Rest primer are a stronger flash and not over powering like a Magnum primer may do.

So you are the primer guy!  That's good.

According to the story in Handloader, there are NO inaccurate primers.  I like CCI primers because they fit tight in the primer pockets.  I do use magnum primers for ball powder because of the coating of flame retardants they use on those powders.  

Have you had a primer change make a difference in accuracy in a load without ball powder?

Welcome from Indiana brother.

Last time I was in Indiana was on Labor Day in 2003.  I was coming back from a 25 year Air Force reunion in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  It was raining so hard in Indianapolis that at least three people were killed in traffic accidents by 6 PM.  The guy on the radio said that this day was looking like it was going to set a record for most rain in one day in the area.  It was really coming down hard and vehicles were hydoplaining all over the place, the one I was in included.  Made it back home safe though.

Have you had a primer change make a difference in accuracy in a load without ball powder?

NO !

I have only used magnum primers in 223/556 with ball powders. 7.62X39R with ball powders. 6.8spc with ball powders.

Experimented with 308win a lot with ball and stick powders.Military and BR primers seem to work best(MHO).CCI 34 is my 1st choice, Win WLR 2nd,CCI 200 on plinker loads with 150gr projectiles . Rem 9 1/2 primers flattened the bases on my brass.

The Rem 9 1/2M over pressured the brass.Fed 210M on FGGM clone loads.

I use Win WLRM on the 270WSM and 300WSM loads and won't change primers just powders and projectiles.

Edited by MikedaddyH

I always wonder about primers. How are they rated/measured? Heat, pressure, flame duration? I reload and of the few brands I've used I noted no changes.

Hit the reloading section, hit the primer thread started by Mike, and ask that question.  Otherwise, it just clogs up this guy's intro thread.

More people read the tech sections than the intro section...

THANK YOU for you'r service brother.65 and few few of the other roads are pretty slick bein a large part of the state is so flat.Glad you made it home safe. <thumbsup>  Best steak I ever had was in Cheyenne Wyoming. :drool:

I had a good steak myself while I was in Cheyenne at the Cattleman's Steakhouse.  Nice price, great steak.

I hope to get back there again before I die.  Love the historic town and the Rocky Mountains.

NO !

I have only used magnum primers in 223/556 with ball powders. 7.62X39R with ball powders. 6.8spc with ball powders.

Experimented with 308win a lot with ball and stick powders.Military and BR primers seem to work best(MHO).CCI 34 is my 1st choice, Win WLR 2nd,CCI 200 on plinker loads with 150gr projectiles . Rem 9 1/2 primers flattened the bases on my brass.

The Rem 9 1/2M over pressured the brass.Fed 210M on FGGM clone loads.

I use Win WLRM on the 270WSM and 300WSM loads and won't change primers just powders and projectiles.

Thanks a lot for the advice based on experience.  That is always the best kind of advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 5/30/2015 at 10:56 AM, .308 Lover said:

I have found that the 303 British maximum loads are very close to the 308 starting loads, so I have worked up some LVR 303 loads with Sierra 165 Game King (.308" amazingly) that often puts the old Enfield No4 inside an moa.  It's been a while, but I recall it being right around 2450fps.  I am not after scorching hot loads after decades of hunting, and moderate loads out to 300 yards have never had a mule deer run a single step, and if they had, would destroy the reputation of the 30-30, which ain't going to happen.  So, now, back to the 308...I am in the process of an initial test with LVR  which incidentally is very close to CFE223, and at that level in the 308.  I noticed that when the powder shortage began, there was always some LVR on the shelf because nobody knew what to do with it, so I ended up with a few canisters to try.

• 2 years later...