• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

D. Wilson Bolts

beeks

That Ejector removal tool from Brownells, is one of the best investments I have made for the AR & mine will do both Bolt sizes .

If you remember I had both an Ejection & Extraction issues , i fixed the Extraction problem with the Wilson Bolt by changing to a DPMS Extractor & it left me with the issue you are discribing in your build post . I changed out the Ejector spring to a DPMS spring & I had no more issues after that .

Edited by survivalshop

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the first set up I tried after getting one of his Kits , I had the spring , donut & the Extractor marked " Match " & it still didn't work on the new 18" . I took the donut out & it got worse . That 18" seems to not like the DWilson Bolt in any form but with a DPMS Extractor & spring & a DPMS Ejector spring .

I've never had one this finicky , maybe because we have so many different manufacturers & no organized spec's to go from or to be made by . Once you find the right combo or Component , be it complete Bolt or just a spring , your good to go & stay with it .

Keeps building interesting .  LOL

I noticed he sells his parts kits with "Reliability Doughnuts", wonder why they don't get installed on the bolts from the start???????

http://www.dwilsonmfg.com/store/p24/308_Bolt_Carrier_Small_Parts_kits.html

I include them in the rebuild kits because everyone's gun is different and it gives users the ability to "tune" the extractor to their gun.

• 5 months later...

After inspecting & cleaning & checking HS in the 18" with my New D.Wilson Nitrated BCG ( the ones he has as Blems , Hard to find a blemish ) I went to the range & the first 20 rd. mag . ( Org. CProducts ) The 18" worked flawlessly , second loading of same mag. & same batch of 155r. Nosler Match ( reloads ) I had failure to Eject on every round , clear the jam & next round did the same . Fired case is laying on top of new round being fed into the chamber. 

IMG_1221.thumb.JPG.cd5bf72993faf1c3b2557

This the same issue I had with just the D.Wilson complete Bolt ( also Nitrated ) with a DPMS ( factory ) Bolt Carrier.( Note : this Bolt works fine in my other 308AR's ! )

Why these Bolts or complete BCG will not work with this particular 18" Criterion Barrel ( but works with two other Criterion BBL's ), is the reason we always say there is no Spec' Standards with the 308ARs & if you read this Thread , you will see there are very slight differences between D.Wilson & DPMS type BCG components . 

I'm going to put this BCG ( D.Wilson ) In my 16" & take the Shadow Ops NIB BCG & use it in the 18 " ,  The Shadow OPs BCG has very few rounds shot with it in the 16" , so not a big deal . I don't like to swap out Bolts but in this case , with the very little use of the Bolts , not a big deal .

7 hours ago, survivalshop said:

After inspecting & cleaning & checking HS in the 18" with my New D.Wilson Nitrated BCG ( the ones he has as Blems , Hard to find a blemish ) I went to the range & the first 20 rd. mag . ( Org. CProducts ) The 18" worked flawlessly , second loading of same mag. & same batch of 155r. Nosler Match ( reloads ) I had failure to Eject on every round , clear the jam & next round did the same . Fired case is laying on top of new round being fed into the chamber. 

IMG_1221.thumb.JPG.cd5bf72993faf1c3b2557

This the same issue I had with just the D.Wilson complete Bolt ( also Nitrated ) with a DPMS ( factory ) Bolt Carrier.( Note : this Bolt works fine in my other 308AR's ! )

Why these Bolts or complete BCG will not work with this particular 18" Criterion Barrel ( but works with two other Criterion BBL's ), is the reason we always say there is no Spec' Standards with the 308ARs & if you read this Thread , you will see there are very slight differences between D.Wilson & DPMS type BCG components . 

I'm going to put this BCG ( D.Wilson ) In my 16" & take the Shadow Ops NIB BCG & use it in the 18 " ,  The Shadow OPs BCG has very few rounds shot with it in the 16" , so not a big deal . I don't like to swap out Bolts but in this case , with the very little use of the Bolts , not a big deal .

I wonder if that barrel happens to have barrel extension on the high or low end of the manufacturers tolerance that is causing it to not bode well with my bolt.

8 hours ago, unclemoak said:

I wonder if that barrel happens to have barrel extension on the high or low end of the manufacturers tolerance that is causing it to not bode well with my bolt.

It sure is a picky Barrel , I'm thinking the same as you are .  I thought because I was using a used Bolt Carrier with the first Bolt that the BC could have been a little loose because of wear , so when you had this Blem sale , I saw a perfect way to test my theory ,if that was the case. I have more testing to do with other Magazines also , the test Mag. is one I use for a lot of testing & may be close to end of its service life . 

Makes me wonder if this Barrel doesn't like the Nitrated Bolts , if thats even possible , because the rifle runs fine with a NIB coated Shadow OPs ( no longer in the biz ) Bolt in the DPMS Bolt Carrier . Just strange .

What gets me is, why did it work for the first twenty rounds ?  That makes me believe it may be lubricant ,but BCG had Plenty of lubricant , I pulled it out & inspected the BC at the range when I was done with my short session  . 

I'm going to try different Lubricants , might be all it is .I'm also going to do a complete break down & cleaning .

I will keep posting with testing now that I have slowed down working on the Panheads , one is out the door & the other is waiting for a gasket , so more time to shoot now & this rifle is going to be getting 100% of my attention .

Don't get this thread wrong , its not a bashing of your product , because the more I look at your machining work , they are so well done & the fact that I can put your Bolt in two other 308AR's kinda steers me to the Barrel's Extension also .

Edited by survivalshop

Some comparison photo's of the ( factory ) DPMS BCG & the D.Wilson BCG.

You can't see it too well in this photo because how dark the Nitrated Carrier is , but the cut on the side where the Dust cover protrudes into the Upper Receiver is much longer .

DSCN2615.thumb.JPG.af760e0b66e1aab16b812

closer look

DSCN2616.thumb.JPG.e363cee430e65adecfec4

hammber opening more like an Enhanced AR 15 Carrier than an M16 & open up a bit .

DSCN2618.thumb.JPG.0787f81d8043733d905e6

DSCN2619.thumb.JPG.ab5254a76103aa0326352 

D.Wilson Bolt Face on the left & Shadow OPS (NIB )

DSCN2624.thumb.JPG.36925759c160e77642424

D.Wilson Bolt face & factory DPMS ( well used , I might add )

DSCN2625.thumb.JPG.1af43a6d87dcebe75ac99

Damn Black Nitrate makes photo shots difficult , LOL

Looks like D.Wilson cut some weight off the Bolt Carrier , compared to the factory DPMS , D.Wilson machine work makes the DPMS look like I made it with a Dremel Tool. ? I have not found a way to acutely weigh the two , but will . None of my scales will work , maybe my Pact , but I think it too may be maxed out by the Carrier weight , I well see today.

I cleaned the Barrel & BCG up & used CPL instead of the wonder lubricant that is supposed to run for 4K with out re-lubricating , we will see next time at the range & I will be better prepared . 

Edited by survivalshop

I was looking up what the spring length & Coil count of DPMS 308AR's for knewB in the Introduction Thread & pulled both my DPMS Rifle Buffers & Springs & found that my old 20" had the correct Spring , but it looks like I was sent a AR 15 Rifle length spring or this one in the 18" was cut wrong, see below ,

20" bbl 3098AR -  39 Coils , 12 1/2 " long  ( 39 Coils & 12 3/4" is normal )

18" bbl. 308AR -    43 Coils , 12 1/4 " long . ?

This may be why this Bolt doesn't work or contribute to it . Maybe , I will take Wire diameter of the two & I have a New AR 15 Rifle Spring in the Parts drawer.& I will install the Tubb's Flat Wire Spring I have & find out Monday. 

Edited by survivalshop

Went to the range today with the or a proper 308AR Buffer Spring ( Tubb's ) & my new D.Wilson , Nitrated BCG . I started with the Lancer 20 rounder & things went real well , everything from 175 , 168, 155 gr match loads & some 155 gr. Hornady Amax , worked flawlessly probably went through thirty rounds & said why not test the new 20 rd. Gen. 3 , PMag , loaded twenty rounds with Amax & fired every one till the last round & then had the failure to eject the case from the rifle , as has been the case , so I said this early CMMG Lower has never liked the PMag , that came out first & maybe she doesn't really like the Gen. 3 also , so I went back to the Lancer , same issue , every round jammed , failing to eject the fired case from the rifle & trying to feed the next round from the Mag .

I checked & it was well lubed , so I took out the old used factory DPMS BCG out & splashed some oil on it ( from my Otis cleaning kit, no less  ) dropped it in the rifle & proceeded to shoot both the Lancer & Pmag with out a hitch for about fifty rounds . I can see now that Tolerance Stacking when chamber warms up is the issue . I think this barre/chamber needs some time to break in before I can use the D.Wilson BCG, its a well made product . It is getting better though , I never got that many rounds fired with out it jamming .

I'm not going any further with it till I get some more rounds through the rifle , has about six hundred rounds just from testing , have not had a chance to see how well she shoots yet , but did do most of my shooting today firing as soon as the target spot came back in the cross hairs , I wanted to heat her up, nice fist size groups & they are nice groups from shooting so fast , they all kind of lobed in there. 

I disassembled & cleaned the BCG last night & nothing out of the ordinary , except there is some great machining work on these components , No Burr's on any parts , Springs OK , just some brass marks on the Bolt face , which there would be normally . Why this BCG or just his Bolt doesn't like this Rifle is just odd , I'm going to try this BCG in my 16" & see how it reacts to a rapid & prolonged heating . The Bolt I have from D.Wilson worked in the 16" & now I want to see if this complete BCG works .

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the Range today with the 18" 308AR & the new D.Wilson BCG , but with a DPMS Extractor & went through around 80 rounds in 10 shot strings , as fast as I could get a shot off when the cross hairs settled on the aiming point . Used both the Lancer & Gen. 3 Pmag's ,( note , this is the CMMG Lower Receiver that will not function with the first gen. Mags ) no malfunctions at all , ran both 155 gr. Nosler Match & 155 gr. Hornady Amax bullets , same Powder charge , primer & COL were used .

This is the second bolt from him that has worked in this rifle with the DPMS Extractor.  I contacted D.Wilson about this , this is a Tolerance stacking issue with a few rifle/Barrel combo's , not an over all problem , he makes a very good product & I need two AR 15 BCG 's soon & will not hesitate getting them from him . 

IMG_1281.jpg

Edited by survivalshop