• Visit Sportsmans Guide

D. Wilson Bolts

beeks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

That was the first thing I ordered from him when he made them available.

Same here, the night we were all talking about it, Dave made the packages right on his website.  Snatched up the master kit right away just for his support to us.

The nitrided complete BCG came in today - DAMN nice hardware.  I'll do a writeup on it tomorrow. 

Same here, the night we were all talking about it, Dave made the packages right on his website.  Snatched up the master kit right away just for his support to us.

The nitrided complete BCG came in today - DAMN nice hardware.  I'll do a writeup on it tomorrow.

Ya, I was reply impressed with his response to our request & even more impressed with his turn around time from order to delivery at the door! Now that's what I call customer service <thumbsup>

Looking forward to the write up on the nitrided bolt.

My Bolt came a day early , nicely made & finish is flawless , Nitrated . I did notice a difference in the Extractor , compared to my DPMS test Bolt

post-11255-0-98388300-1438189528_thumb.j

, not sure if it makes a difference with function , but will find out Friday at the range . I also took some measurements of the Bolt Locking Lugs & other measurements & those too may make no difference . This DPMS Bolt has had Hundreds of rounds fired with it . I don't keep track of round count any more , but I will start with this Bolt & Criterion Nitrated Barrel .

Length of complete Bolt ( with in +/- measuring )

DWilson - 2.930"

DPMS    - 2.9285" 

Locking Lug length ( Bolt face to back of Lug )

DWilson - 0.316"

DPMS    - 0.318"

Width of Locking Lug 

DWilson - 0.167"

DPMS    - 0.160"

Depth or height of Locking Lug (from Bolt dia. to top of Lug )

DWilson - 0.123"

DPMS    - 0.1175"

Not sure if these measurements mean a damn thing , because the DPMS is well used , they could have been much closer when it was  new . I can say the DWilson Bolt was a nice Head Space fit & the Older DPMS is a easy fit , but you would expect that from a well used & broken in Bolt .

Part of the tightness is the Gas ring fit , it was much tighter then the DPMS , but here again , well used Bolt so the comparison is mote . I can't wait to play with this new build , with its Nitrated Barrel & Bolt .

This sure makes removing & installing Ejectors , a breeze !

post-11255-0-40636300-1438190367_thumb.j

Put about 150 rounds through the new build with the DWilson Bolt & here are some observations .

Bolt shows very little marks or wear or marks on it .

post-11255-0-61529000-1438380206_thumb.j

It was difficult to compare the Extractors , because of how they are made , the DPMS has a slight curve to it & its sits deeper in the Bolt face .

The width difference is only 0.001 " with the Dwilson ( left )Extractor being 0.311" & the DPMS 0.310" not much at all .

post-11255-0-94541600-1438380546_thumb.j

The one thing I noticed is the actual thickness of the Extracto r , with the DPMS being Beefier , 0.119" & the Dwilson 0.1145" .

post-11255-0-92435300-1438381019_thumb.j

I did think the Gas rings fit a little tight , but after checking diameter measurements , the gas rings are the same , Dwilson 0.662" & the DPMS New Ring  0.664".

The Bolt ran great , I did have two fail to Eject at first , but this is a new build & the bolt worked fine after that with no failure to eject or extract . I did have Mag feed problems , but that has nothing to do with the Bolt , this CMMG Lower is an early one & has always Had problems with PMags , go figure , the DPMS mag worked fine .

Edited by survivalshop

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me? Or the picture? The bolt on the left doesn't seem to have enough "meat" on the extractor to grab the casing?

It's the angle of the picture. There is a chamfer on the leading edge that you can't see clearly in the picture.

-d.wilson

20140711_141058.jpg

Edited by unclemoak

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still having ejection problems with my new build with a DWilson Bolt in it . I had fail to eject with just about every other round . I pulled the Bolt , replaced the Extractor with a new DPMS one , thinking maybe it was holding onto the spent case to long , but it made no difference . I had a new Ejector & spring with me , but didn't bring my removal tool , so didn't replace it , but did bring another complete Bolt , my DPMS test Bolt . 

The rifle ran flawlessly with the DPMS Bolt , I could dump complete 20 rd. mags with out a problem , so its something with the Ejector , me thinks . I will inspect & replace both the spring & Ejector & see how that works next trip out .

Took the Bolts apart & took some measurements of springs & Ejectors. Also removed used spring from My test Bolt that has had a couple of thousand rounds through it & worked flawlessly in the rifle today . All three Ejectors were the same length of 0.572"

New DPMS Ejector Spring    0.942"

DWilson Ejector Spring         0.891" ( this spring seems to be a heavier duty spring , by looks , it has a thicker spring material , with the naked eye & Magnified )

Used DPMS Ejector Spring   0.880" ( this worked in the rifle )

I pretty much bet , that DWilson doesn't make his own springs & this may just be a bad one or too stiff .

Another note , the well used DPMS Ejector spring from my test Bolt has a some what  " S " shape to it ,when placed next to the other two , It is used , but still does its job . 

I also re-installed the DWilson Extractor back in the the DWilson Bolt, its not a problem. 

Edited by survivalshop