• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

D. Wilson Bolts

beeks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the rifle still had failure to eject with the new spring inn the ejector . At least one failure per five round rounds . Put my DPMS test bolt in & rifle runs flawlessly. I'm going to have to look at this Bolt a little closer . Not going to completely give up on it yet .

I will email DWilson with my results . 

The DWilson Bolt worked flawlessly with my test bolt components on it ( Ejector/spring , Extractor/spring ) did a 20rd. mag dump with the Lancer & one with my Cproducts #2 test mag, . I would have tested my DPMS test bolt with the DWilson components , but some A$$ Wit , forgot it & I'm not mentioning any names to protect the Innocent.. LOL 

So, was the extractor not extracting, or the ejector not ejecting?...

That question is gonna bug you, and I know you'll be back out there...   lmao

Those are very good questions , really . More likely a combo of the two , because I installed a new DPMS Extractor & the problem was still there , but did not change the Extractor's Spring , changed the Ejector & a new DPMS spring & it didn't change . With the new test , all components were changed ( Extractor/Spring & Ejector/Spring ) & the rifle ran fine .

Nothing like full 308 ,20 rd. mag dumps at the range , normally when I do it ,I get these strange looks, but I was alone on the range this time . Bummer .

I do like the MechArmor Trigger , that thing is just plain fast .

I'm not sure until I try my test DPMS Bolt with the DWilson components on it Friday . I have been in contact with him & he is going to send me a Bolt kit to install on his Bolt to test.

One thing is for sure , its not the Bolt itself . 

Edited by survivalshop

Here is photo's of what is happening , looks like it goes both ways , like Elton John . I have not had a chance to test the DPMS bolt with the DWilson components on it yet , but will this week , along with switching Springs , one at a time to see if it just could be a Spring .

Bottom photo the empty case has not been ejected .

DSCN2563.JPG

DSCN2564.JPG

Edited by survivalshop

By looking at the photo's you would think it was just an Extractor problem , I first thought it was holding the spent case too long , but I changed to a new DPMS Extractor & got the same problems . What it may be is the Extractor spring is too stiff , I didn't change it when replacing to the New DPMS Extractor . I changed the Ejector & Spring & still had the same problems ,of course that was with the org. DWilson Extractor & spring . The rifle works with my test DPMS Bolt or with the DWilson Bolt & my DPMS test Bolt Extractor/spring & Ejector/spring , so I have pretty much believe in some way its all about the Springs , because it was already tested ( Individually ) with each component changed & had Malfunctions . This has got to be one of the best head scratchers I have had in a while . 

I will know more , as said, when I test my DPMS test Bolt with the DWilson components in it . It will throw a wrench into the mix if it works , with out malfunctions . I want to get out tomorrow , but this Monsoon hanging out here is cutting into any outside activities , I may break out my pop up canopy to take to the range .

You can see it will keep the rain off me .  lol

P1010005.JPG

Edited by survivalshop

I tested my DPMS test Bolt with the DWilson components & it failed on the first shot . I installed the DWilson components back in to the DWilson bolt except I used the DPMS Extractor Spring & still had failures , changed to a New DPMS Extractor ( in the DWilson Bolt ) & failure rate went down but started to get stove pipe jams & an empty case laying on top of an empty mag , on hold open on last shot . Changed the Ejector Spring , keeping the DWilson Ejector & the rifle functioned flawlessly for the rest of the shooting session , with both M 80 Ball & my 155gr, hand loads .

So I looked a little closer at the Extractor & noticed wear marks at both ends of the half moon cut in it for the case lip . I will take some close ups with my Microscope attachment on my Camera  then I will clean it up & test it again . Photo's to follow .

I emailed this info to DWilson . None of this would keep me from buying another BCG from him , the fit & finish on these components are a work of art & I need two AR 15 BCG's for builds & will purchase them from him , when I get to that point .

98 what kind of explaining  do I need to do.  LOL     No that's not my wife , but is one of her best friends & she is Married now , that photo is a couple years old . We just hung out at the beach all day while the wife worked , like all week .   LOL

Edited by survivalshop

From looking at these photo's , you can see there are some differences in the two Extractors , DPMS & DWilson's , the DWilsons has a narrower slot for the case lip & it also has a  deeper taper on the lip or tip of the Extractor , where it contacts the case for it to slip into the case's Extractor grove , which makes the Extractor lip much narrower . If the Material or hardness is of a higher caliber than a std DPMS , which is much more stout & less taper , it may not mean any thing , but it looks like it would be a weakness as far as service life , but as said its all in the way or what material is used , it may even be stronger & have a longer service life then a std DPMS Extractor .

DSCN2572.thumb.JPG.a435044ee2b0cefe6d00e

In the following photos you can see some burr's on the sides of the Extractor's case grove ,which may or may not be why its having problems or it may be because the case grove is too narrow & the case has to be exactly aligned in it (or close to it ), to seat properly in the Case's Extractor grove .

IMG_0753.thumb.jpg.0ddcba28c8f6ed1530e4b

IMG_0752.thumb.jpg.b7e662c3dfde11f2a5143

This is of the DPMS very used test Bolt's Extractor

IMG_0757.thumb.jpg.a4141a24b8e8df13f6c93IMG_0758.thumb.jpg.03aa70ac23115b5c277a8

98 what kind of explaining  do I need to do.  LOL     No that's not my wife...

NEVER would I detract from a technical thread, but, ...  DAMN!  I think you know what I was talking about.  I think the sheer amount of baby oil in that pic might have blurred my damn vision.  Holy shat, brother...

http://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2015_08/P1010005.JPG.4957808af8ce17b7642c94f7ef885ad0.JPG

WOW!!! 

You don't look bad, either - still gettin' it.  But the other side...  Holy Damn, SS.  Faaqaack......

By looking at the photo's you would think it was just an Extractor problem , I first thought it was holding the spent case too long , but I changed to a new DPMS Extractor & got the same problems . What it may be is the Extractor spring is too stiff , I didn't change it when replacing to the New DPMS Extractor . I changed the Ejector & Spring & still had the same problems ,of course that was with the org. DWilson Extractor & spring . The rifle works with my test DPMS Bolt or with the DWilson Bolt & my DPMS test Bolt Extractor/spring & Ejector/spring , so I have pretty much believe in some way its all about the Springs , because it was already tested ( Individually ) with each component changed & had Malfunctions . This has got to be one of the best head scratchers I have had in a while . 

I will know more , as said, when I test my DPMS test Bolt with the DWilson components in it . It will throw a wrench into the mix if it works , with out malfunctions . I want to get out tomorrow , but this Monsoon hanging out here is cutting into any outside activities , I may break out my pop up canopy to take to the range .

You can see it will keep the rain off me .  lol

P1010005.JPG

Wow SS... Looks like fun ! The old lady sure trusts you.

Your freind is after a Savage tan with the baby oil.

Reminds me of this .

http://youtu.be/FMcQ9qdYBUI

Getting back on subject , I took to cutting the Extractor grove more like the DPMS & will see how it works next time I'm at the range . I'll put some cold blue on , just to see wear marks & cover my cutting . I did posh it slightly & if it works OK , I will polish the ramp on it a little more . Took a bit to get those burr's out , with out cutting too much out . Surgery was delicate & it will look better when I clean it up , after I see if it works , that is .  LOL

DSCN2574.JPG

Edited by survivalshop

Ya ya, that's great SS, glad you're gett'in that all situated, keep up the good work there...

Now back to the real topic of this thread, and what we all really wanna know... is she happily married? If so is she "open minded"?

...F**k it, just give me her number, I'll deal with it.

LOL!

Just kidding of course, thanks for working so diligently on this and then sharing the process results with us!

Edited by GreyGoose

Seems my photo disappeared , not sure how that happened , but I put it back , its all about the canopy , focus on the canopy .

To those who have the Dwilson BCG's , are any of you presently running them , if so can you get a photo of your Extractor's extractor grove ?  I looked at 98's on the DWilsons BCG thread & the one in his photo appears to look like it has a wider grove for the cases extractor grove . Looking at this one that came with mine , its much narrower & what I think is just a fluke & just machined incorrectly .