• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel Suggestion

Phigam27

New member here and my first .308 build.

I have owned ARs for years and built a .300 blk upper from a 5.56 then ended up building the lower as well and putting the 5.56 back to stock.  

I have all of my parts picked out for my .308 build except for one.  The barrel.  I definitely want a bull barrel without threads on the end.  I was originally going to go with a 24" criterion but I realized the overall length will not fit in my Drago 42" rifle case.  Therefore, I would like to find a 20" bull barrel but I am having trouble.  The only ones I can find are Red X Arms which I have not seen good reviews for or Krieger which is a little too pricey at $550.  DPMS sells a fully assembled .308 with a 20" barrel but I cannot find the barrel by itself.

Any Suggestions?

I have considered a thread protector and before I switched to the 24", I had the rainier match 20" on my list.  I would definitely go with rainier if they had a heavy bull barrel.  I am open to a thread protector but I definitely want the heavy bull barrel

I have not started my build yet.  I am going to start once I get everything decided as far as exactly what I want.  It has been in the works for a while but I am very indecisive.  I had the idea to get the 24" criterion and get it cut to a 20".  Would just be easier if I could find a 20" and not have to pay for the 24" and pay to get it cut down.  I appreciate the help looking.  Like I said, the only 20" I could find is the Red X Arms barrel but I have not seen any good reviews of that company.

Call Criterion & they will make a Barrel for you with out the threads for Muzzle devices , as will others . It will not be a true Bull Barrel because of the limit on Gas Block diameter . .936 " is the largest I have seen .

I have a Krieger Criterion 20" HB from Fulton Arms with .936 " Gas Block . Has a custom PRI Brake , turned to the diameter of the Barrel .

post-11255-0-39043500-1436750895_thumb.j

This is a good "18"HB w/ threads & wont break the bank> http://www.midwayusa.com/product/660397/dpms-sass-barrel-lr-308-308-winchester-bull-contour-1-in-10-twist-18-fluted-stainless-steel-black-teflon

Give McGowan Barrels a call, if they don't have what you want they'll make it fairly quick at a reasonable cost. https://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/ar15-ar10-barrels/

New member here and my first .308 build.

I have owned ARs for years and built a .300 blk upper from a 5.56 then ended up building the lower as well and putting the 5.56 back to stock.  

I have all of my parts picked out for my .308 build except for one.  The barrel.  I definitely want a bull barrel without threads on the end.  I was originally going to go with a 24" criterion but I realized the overall length will not fit in my Drago 42" rifle case.  Therefore, I would like to find a 20" bull barrel but I am having trouble.  The only ones I can find are Red X Arms which I have not seen good reviews for or Krieger which is a little too pricey at $550. 

I found the DPMS barrels.  The first two times I looked the page was blank.  Try this link, no uppers, barrels only (.308)  http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-Win-762x51-NATO_c_203.html

I found the DPMS barrels.  The first two times I looked the page was blank.  Try this link, no uppers, barrels only (.308)  http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-Win-762x51-NATO_c_203.html

Nothing there is what he's looking for - 20" heavy barrel or bull barrel.  Additionally, if you read through a barrel description, they all state:

Please Note: we are experiencing longer than normal lead times due to availability, orders are taking 8-12 months to ship.

Yeah, fuk that.

Nothing there is what he's looking for - 20" heavy barrel or bull barrel.  Additionally, if you read through a barrel description, they all state:

Yeah, fuk that.

The lead times are getting ridiculous, for sure.

He could go with the 24" stainless fluted barrel and get a new rifle case.  Always an option.

I've got two 20" Heavy 5.56 barrels - and they is heavy.  The YHM is 4140 and comes in at 3.33 lbs.  The RRA is stainless and weighs the same-ish.  Walking around with a 20" 5.56 rifle is a PITA - I don't want to do it with a .308 AR.  If I have to hump a .308 like that, I'd rather carry a damn M60.

post-7-0-78009500-1436897986_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-46463000-1436898003_thumb.gif

I am not too worried about the weight.  I know what I am getting myself into.  haha.  I think the only thing that I am going to be saving weight on is the Luth-AR stock over the PRS and a JMT 80% polymer lower.  Considering building a lightweight 5.56 or .300blk after the .308 build which is going to take me a while.  I will call on those two barrels for price quotes at the end of this week and see what we are looking at.  Ill be sure to report back.

Talked to Criterion and X-Caliber yesterday.  Criterion said that it would get very pricey to set up for one barrel.  X-Caliber said for a 20" heavy bull contour in .308 it is $245.  Talked to the guy for a while and it seemed like great customer service and they want you to send them a picture of your first taget once sighted in to make sure that their barrels are performing well.  I will be going with an X-caliber.  Thank you all for the help.