• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA-10 upper/Rainier Barrel

dkreutsberg

I will be attempting to mate a PSA 308 upper to a 308 Rainier 20" match barrel; however I'm not sure whether the bcg should come from Palmetto or Rainier!  Any thoughts

Thanks! it seemed like the smart thing to do but I wasn't sure if because of PSA's compatablity issues that it might be prudent to get everthing in the upper from them. Unless I trash the upper.

That's good - keep 'em together from the same manufacturer, in this build-game.  Whatever weird, proprietary parts that PSA has for their upper and lower sets, get those.  Everything else shouldn't matter.  Run an Armalite buffer system if you'll be building a collapsible stock.  I've found that there can be issues trying to mix "x" carbine receiver extension with someone else's cheap "DPMS LR308 carbine buffer - compatible" and so forth. 

With a 20" barrel, will you be running a rifle stock and not collapsible?

That's good - keep 'em together from the same manufacturer, in this build-game.  Whatever weird, proprietary parts that PSA has for their upper and lower sets, get those.  Everything else shouldn't matter.  Run an Armalite buffer system if you'll be building a collapsible stock.  I've found that there can be issues trying to mix "x" carbine receiver extension with someone else's cheap "DPMS LR308 carbine buffer - compatible" and so forth. 

With a 20" barrel, will you be running a rifle stock and not collapsible?

Based on what I've read, I'll be a PSA lower parts kit, an A-2 rifle buffer tube with 308 buffer and spring. I'm going to try using a Rainier bcg after having Rainier match bolt to my barrel.  Not sure of fore end yet as I'm waiting for clarification from PSA on whether this receiver is high or low profile, because the rear tab at the charging handle is 3/16" which is supposed to be high but I read another thread that quoted PSA as saying their recievers take low profile handguards, ????????

Edited by Matt.Cross
Posting inside quote, killing my OCD

Based on what I've read, I'll be a PSA lower parts kit, an A-2 rifle buffer tube with 308 buffer and spring. I'm going to try using a Rainier bcg after having Rainier match bolt to my barrel.  Not sure of fore end yet as I'm waiting for clarification from PSA on whether this receiver is high or low profile, because the rear tab at the charging handle is 3/16" which is supposed to be high but I read another thread that quoted PSA as saying their recievers take low profile handguards, ????????

I've heard good things about the PSA ACT tuned LPK. Comes with the ACT relatively inexpensive, standard pull weight trigger group, MILSPEC but polished and coated, akin to the spikes battle trigger group.

That is NOT a PSA trigger set, it is made by ALG Defense! PSA is just one of the places that market it.

You are correct.

He's building a PSA rifle and needs the whole LPK, and since PSA has a version of their LPK packaged together with the AGL trigger... I just went that way with it.

The advanced combat trigger is of course available from AGL Defense for $66, and the PSA ACT LPK is $99, so... take your pick.

Thanks for the clarification 392. ;-)

Edited by GreyGoose

^^^  Thanks for that clarification, on why you called it that - That would make sense for the OP, considering what he needs to get rolling.  We're well aware of the two trigger offerings from ALG D, as well as the Spikes Nib trigger.  Shiit, I had a Spike's Nib trigger in mid-2010, and 3 or 4 ACT setups in different rifles.  The ACT is superior to the Spikes NiB.

Edited by 98Z5V

^^^  Thanks for that clarification, on why you called it that - That would make sense for the OP, considering what he needs to get rolling.  We're well aware of the two trigger offerings from ALG D, as well as the Spikes Nib trigger.  Shiit, I had a Spike's Nib trigger in mid-2010, and 3 or 4 ACT setups in different rifles.  The ACT is superior to the Spikes NiB.

The ACT LPK is on my wish list! 

I recieved an answer from PSA regarding the compatiblity of a Rainier bcg and their receiver and I quote " As long as that barrel is a DPMS style barrel, you should be okay. We can only guarantee fit and function with other PSA products so at this time, I cannot guarantee another company's BCG with our .308 products. The receiver we have is based off a DPMS lower profile so I am not certain that a high profile handguard would work."!  So if my reciever measures 3/16" but their recievers are low profile..............who's right?

That diagram is where I got the 3/16"; however PSA uses a different way to determine high or low profile, I guess based on their affiliation with Odin Works kmod handguards. When ordering Odin handguards they ask you to use this diagram and according to it my receiver is a low profile.............go figure!

308guide.jpg

I think we have seen problems with the Odin hand guard fitment before . The adaptor was not right , the poster had to contact Odin to get it right . Those directions talking about Armalite AR 10 rifles or PA 10"s ?  Are you going to use Odin Hand Guard ? If so go with their directions . If you plan on a DPMS type Hand Guard go with the Troy measurements .

I think we have seen problems with the Odin hand guard fitment before . The adaptor was not right , the poster had to contact Odin to get it right . Those directions talking about Armalite AR 10 rifles or PA 10"s ?  Are you going to use Odin Hand Guard ? If so go with their directions . If you plan on a DPMS type Hand Guard go with the Troy measurements .

I think if I go with an Odin, I'll ask  or pay for both adapters. It should cut down on the odds on getting it wrong, somewhat.  I understand that Midwest Industries which psa offered on their built rifles goes along with troy which means my reciever is now back to a high profile, both manufactures have some nice looking products so I guess it will come down to who has it in stock when I'm ready to order.

Thanks

308id_p.jpg

• 1 year later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 6:02 PM, dkreutsberg said:

I am currently building a Gen II PSA PA 10 and I followed the guide line about the tang thickness and ordered a high mount DPMS rail form Midwest Industries. It sits a bit high, approximately 1/16" by eye. Although the tang is thicker the proper profile height for the rail is a DPMS low profile.

32 minutes ago, odie64 said:

I am currently building a Gen II PSA PA 10 and I followed the guide line about the tang thickness and ordered a high mount DPMS rail form Midwest Industries. It sits a bit high, approximately 1/16" by eye. Although the tang is thicker the proper profile height for the rail is a DPMS low profile.

Welcome to the forum.  You would likely be better served to start your own thread.  This one is almost 2 years old and some of the people no longer frequent the forum.

On 5/9/2017 at 7:32 AM, odie64 said:

Welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about yourself in the intro section

On 5/9/2017 at 5:32 AM, odie64 said:

More PSA proprietary issues to throw into the mix...