• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AIM bcg in PA-10

CASEYPM

I'm only a bcg away from finishing my PSA PA-10 and have been looking around at bcg's. I've found a nickel boron AIM surplus bcg for $159 which is $40 cheaper than the PSA bcg. Question is, will it work in a PSA upper? I've bought an Anderson .308 barrel which they tell me will work on LR-308 style platform which PA-10 is loosely built off of. Sorry if I'm kicking a dead horse here, but I searched forever and only found bits and pieces and nobody with real experience with this combo. Thanks. 

I just checked it out. Looks pretty sweet. I take it you've had good experiences with them. I'm new to black rifles and trying to figure out the proprietary nightmare of the AR-10. 

Consider the complete BCG from DWilsonMfg.  If you have any kind of issue with it, you will certainly be taken care of.

I just checked it out. Looks pretty sweet. I take it you've had good experiences with them. I'm new to black rifles and trying to figure out the proprietary nightmare of the AR-10. 308 AR

Fixed it. Stick with all Armalite AR-10 and there are no issues.......except waiting for the parts to come off backorder.

DWilson was on here asking us questions about field repair kits - what should be in them?  He got 4 or 5 good answers, with varying items in each response.  Within an hour, he had 4 or 5 different versions of field repair kits listed on his website.  I bought the big one immediately, and received it fast.  Recently, I purchased my first 308AR complete BCG from him - I picked up the full nitraded version - it's fantastic.  survivalshop picked up one from him, and had a couple ejection problems, and Dave came right in and urged him to contact about it. 

The parts are very, very high quality, and the customer service is top notch.  Purchasing through him, you're getting more than just parts in the mail, and that goes a very long way in this industry.

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for that! I'm assuming that pretty much all 308 AR bolt carriers are the same length and diameter?  Is there a difference in armalite vs dpms that would make them non-compatible? I'm also assuming that PSA does not make their own bcg's and just stamp their name on it. 

If you have an Armalite BCG then the barrel needs to have an Armalite pattern extension on it. Same with the DPMS/LR-308 pattern, the two don't mix in that department. There are some other subtle differences. 

I always post the parts I'm thinking about buying here for evaluation, there are lots of little issues with building these rifles and the guys here have ran into nearly all of them so they can steer you the right way. 

Work that search function here and you'll find about everything you need to know and a bunch you don't;)

One more.... I've noticed a lot of 308 bolt carriers don't have FA serrations. The PA-10 upper has a FA. I was looking at Anderson bcg's so there would less of a chance of headspacing issues and they don't have FA serrations. Is it completely necessary to have them? My rifle's purpose will mainly be for hunting if that's a factor in it. 

Foward Assist is the same parts, for .308AR and military-issued M-16/M-4 weapons.  Same part.  Having serrations on the carrier doesn't do you any good on a 308 bolt carrier - the forward assist can't reach it. It's a "dmiensions" thing.  Look at it and think about it.  On a 308AR, the only thing the forward assist catches is the shoulder on the 308 carrier, where it changes diameter.  Now, does a forward assist WORK on a 308 carrier?  Yes, it'll grab that shoulder, right at the place necessary to put that bolt carrier and bolt into battery. 

Are there any 308-specific forward assist decives out there that work with carrier serrations? Probably, but they're specific, and I haven't seen any of them.  DOesn't mean they're not out there.

Bottom line, don't worry about serrations on a carrier body.  It's not gonna matter if it's serrated or not.  Not on a 308AR.

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for that! I'm assuming that pretty much all 308 AR bolt carriers are the same length and diameter?  Is there a difference in armalite vs dpms that would make them non-compatible? I'm also assuming that PSA does not make their own bcg's and just stamp their name on it. 

Not the case that they are all the same.  I had an issue with my AR308 build with an AIM BCG.  It was freezing up on the G2S trigger that I had installed.  98gave me some dimensions from one of his BCGs and there was a significant difference in the depth of the BCG as well as a few others.  Changing the trigger to the MechArmor trigger seemed to cure the initial problem, but AIM offered to replace the BCG.  The second BCG they sent had different dimensions from the first, still different from 98's, but now after 500+ rounds downrange without any issues it seems to be working fine.  I have also seen some discussion of different triggers interacting with a BCG differently so I wouldn't assume anything about similarity of components, even if they are supposed to be DPMS or Armalite patterns.

Are there any 308-specific forward assist decives out there that work with carrier serrations? Probably, but they're specific, and I haven't seen any of them.  DOesn't mean they're not out there.

Bottom line, don't worry about serrations on a carrier body.  It's not gonna matter if it's serrated or not.  Not on a 308AR.

I bought one that advertised itself as a 308AR assist with a longer pawl to reach the serrations, I'm hoping it doesn't cause me any issues with the d. wilson carrier. Forum rules prevent me from posting the link, that and the site has since removed these tactical items. I'll try to remember to post a picture and measurement for reference.

Midway has this note on the DPMS forward assist;

"NOTE: This Forward Assist Assembly may be used with LR-308 platform rifles but will require the use of a different LR-308-Specific Forward Assist Spring (Sold Separately, Midway Product # 813-957)."

I'm not sure I understand what difference a spring will make?

I've now decided I should have just bought a plug for the hole and drilled it to serve as a vent.

• 1 month later...

I ended up with a bcg from radical firearms with serrations and the forward assist does indeed work and is functional. The FA is in the same place on the upper as a 5.56 upper, not in the place as a DPMS upper. 

Can you take a picture ,close up from the side with the serrations. Thanks

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread like most of them on this forum but , From my shopping around experience seeing the 308 BCG prices are so high I found what I think was the best deal for my whole build ..so for those looking to buy a 308 BCG  you need to check out the TOOLCRAFT (maker of many big name BCG's ) 308 BOLT CARRIER GROUP NI-BO 9310 MPI at WCArmory for get this .... 139.00 ... Mine ran 146.00 shipped . They might be Out of stock but the deal is worth the wait which is only a few days ...... I guarantee you will be happy with the quality and fast shipping ... Its one beautiful BCG , so take a look , as of a few min ago they are on back order but its worth looking /getting on the waiting list for sure    http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bcg-308-bolt-carrier-group-ni-bo-9310-mpi-complete.htm

toolcraft-inc-tc3082auto-010-toolcraft-bcg-308-bolt-carrier-group-ni-bo-9310-mpi-faceted-complete-000000008870-all-products_176407_500x500.jpg

• 6 months later...
55 minutes ago, spamking said:

Apparently everyone is needing a BCG . . . I can't find one that might be compatible with a PA-10 upper.  :embarrassed:

Why , because they say on their web sight that you should only use their parts ? I think we have had some posts here with issues with mixing their Receivers with other brands , but I don't recall any issues with BCG's , I could be wrong , maybe some of these other members will remember .  

Try a D.Wilson & if it doesn't work , he will refund your $$ 

3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Why , because they say on their web sight that you should only use their parts ? I think we have had some posts here with issues with mixing their Receivers with other brands , but I don't recall any issues with BCG's , I could be wrong , maybe some of these other members will remember .  

Try a D.Wilson & if it doesn't work , he will refund your $$ 

Yeah pretty much. I ordered one from Wilson today. Now I just need a good barrel.