• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another 308 build.

MikedaddyH

Finally got my barrel back from the shop. This build started in December. Drilled the gas port hole Sunday a #42 bit. The barrel is a M1 Garrand barrel blank from 3/1945 ... Yeah that's pre nuclear blast era ! The metal is different cuts smoother, took a deep color treatment . Lance put a Match chamber on it and I fired one test round Sunday AM. Brass looked good and ejected hard. Still need a Brake and Scope. Oh its 24 inches long and not that heavy.

IMG_20150830_184332.jpg

Metal is different . Metal forged before the first nuclear blast has a different pattern of structure ,the way molecules line up next to each other. I learned this when doing research on Swords. The pre Nuke Swords where stronger than ones made post Nuke era and the price will reflect that. Dont no if that makes any difference with gun barrels but we have all heard stories of 1903 's that have shot 20 or 30 thousand rounds and are still sub moa.

Metal is different . Metal forged before the first nuclear blast has a different pattern of structure ,the way molecules line up next to each other. I learned this when doing research on Swords. The pre Nuke Swords where stronger than ones made post Nuke era and the price will reflect that. Dont no if that makes any difference with gun barrels but we have all heard stories of 1903 's that have shot 20 or 30 thousand rounds and are still sub moa.

The pre-nuke swords are stronger because of exposure to the radiation.

Just like Godzilla and Gamera!! 

Curious to see some links on this? I've heard of low background steel in the schoolhouse when I worked satcom, but never anything about it affecting the physical properties of the metal. Just that it is desirable is some scientific applications where background radiation levels may effect results

Metal is different . Metal forged before the first nuclear blast has a different pattern of structure ,the way molecules line up next to each other. 

I've never heard of any rifle that has had 30-40K shot out of it , shot any thing like that . Of course the early 1093's were only two grove rifling ,so who knows.

I have heard of knives & Swords made from Meteors being superior , but metallurgy has only gotten better since then & from what I've ben told , what happens to man made metals through time is they start reverting back to base elements , which to me, is not good , as far as a Barrel is concerned . 

Saying that & I'm still shooting my 1903A3 & my M1 Garand   LOL