• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

what do you install on your rail,s

308reloaded

simple question,  everyone seems to want handguards that are all picatinny 1913 rails.  why.  what all will you install on your rails.. bi-pod of course but what else.

I am playing the devil advocate,    why do you need handguards that are all rails..  are they lighter?  remember we are using 308/7.62X51,  lasers?    I can understand having rail on top and short rails  at end of handguard  but why the whole thing. 

On my .308's all I need is a rail up top for an optic and a spot on the bottom for a bi-pod.  On my short-work AR-15's I use some flashlights, lasers, etc.  I even have a tac-cam video camera that I can mount on the side rail.  On the big boys, I don't need rails on the foreends.

i could show all the pictures....different things I have mounted on some of my guns, .....Pulsar N550 night vision scope, several other brands of scopes, green laser, TexasBoars DDT light and other TB lights (night hog hunting), multiple other lights, grips, etc.

I did a quad rail on my .308 so I could free-float the barrel, then have options down the road.  Right now, all I use it for is bipod attachment, and I stuck Knight's rail covers on there to hang onto.  I've got a sling attachment point mounted on the front part of the rail that works great (still nothing attached to the barrel), but that's about it.  Later, down the road, if I feel the need to attach something to the rail, I've got that option. 

At the time of my build, using a quad rail as the free-float option was about the only option, so that's what I went with.  I've got flexibility now for whatever I want later.

Sling attachment point, light, bipod and pistol grip....my LR 6.5 doesn't have any holes in handguard ..I gotta drill and tap for sling and bipod.while I'm at it, may as well put a rail section on it for a light... I've got a couple with and couple without....Think your better off having it and not needing it than needing and not having....kinda like the ones that are smooth in rear and short rails around front..best of both

remember I'm talking 308. on the 5.56  we all put all the bells a whistles when want. hopefully that we actually use

I removed quad rail from 5.56 because i wanted it lighter.

IR and night vision capability scope?

But on the 308.  bi-pod and sling  and Free Float for sure.

flashlight for  what?  most here didnt or are not building CQB.  what light will work at longer range? 

laser can it be seen by animals ?

Supposedly the green ones don’t spook animals..that's the line I was thinking along...claim to illuminate out 2-300 yds. ...NX something or other.can't recall without looking it up..

can they see the green?  have never seen, just heard of the green. the red one I have is cheapy cant see it 100yards in dark. well my old eyes cant,  maybe with optics I could