• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Looking for fixed buttstock suggestions

bubbas4570

I am looking to swap out my adjustable buttstock on my APF 308 carbine for a fixed model of some kind, mostly to get rid of the wobble that it has. 

The current model is a Magpul MOE 6 position model, and I have tried to shim it with brass shimstock to get rid of the wobble....that works, but not enough for me, as it still has wobble in it. 

I am not after the highest/bestest priced models of buttstock, just the plain jane working models from whatever vendor....wondering if there is a large working difference between the old A1/A2 stocks and a fixed model from Magpul....unless there are other suggestions from members here.

I know that I will end up getting a new tube, buffer, and spring, so that is already in my mind for the swap, just trying to find out what would be the best fix for my problem.

Thanks

There are some adjustable stocks that are solid. The magpul with the friction locks can be pretty good. My personal favorite is my LMT sopmod. Zero movement on my vltor extension.

With that said, I like fixed stocks. Only difference is length, with A2 stocks having the spacer and being 5/8" longer. I prefer A1 personally. I use Cav Arms C1 stocks on 3 guns and like them a lot. I've used a VLTOR fixed modstock and liked it a lot. Its light and looks cool with options for sling points. I've also use an ACE skeleton stock. Super light and uses the buffer tube as part of the stock. The MAGS EFX stock looks cool and I'd like to try one out. Couple guys in here use the magpul with good results.

Another option if you want to keep it short Is an entry length stock. Lots of guys use them in conjunction with a 1" spacer and say it's about perfect.

The lock on my Magpul ACS does a great job of making a solid feel. I really like the new Magpul Slim Line stock I put on a 308 build, it uses a couple leaf springs that press against the tube so there is no extra lever or button to push and it is very firm, had to put some lube on the tube so I could adjust it easier.

https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-sl-carbine-stock-mil-spec

• 2 months later...
On January 1, 2016 at 10:40 AM, bubbas4570 said:

I am looking to swap out my adjustable buttstock on my APF 308 carbine for a fixed model of some kind, mostly to get rid of the wobble that it has. 

The current model is a Magpul MOE 6 position model, and I have tried to shim it with brass shimstock to get rid of the wobble....that works, but not enough for me, as it still has wobble in it. 

I am not after the highest/bestest priced models of buttstock, just the plain jane working models from whatever vendor....wondering if there is a large working difference between the old A1/A2 stocks and a fixed model from Magpul....unless there are other suggestions from members here.

I know that I will end up getting a new tube, buffer, and spring, so that is already in my mind for the swap, just trying to find out what would be the best fix for my problem.

Thanks

I have found the Magpul MOE rifle stock to be the answer.  A beautiful design with intermediate length of pull (between the A1and A2 length of pull.  Certainly no wobble since it is a fixed length rifle stock.

Edited by D30gaijin

That Magpul MOE rifle stock just happens to fit the bill exactly!

Thanks for all the suggestions.   I went with having one installed when APF put a new upper receiver on my carbine to correct the case deflector angle problem with the original design.   They put one of the MOE stocks on there, and I find that it fits me perfectly.

And actually, APF took care of my problem for me.  They put a MOE rifle stock on for me when they swapped my upper receiver out for an upgraded version.

Happy camper here!!!  That MOE is the correct length of pull for how I run my carbine, and NO WOBBLE!!!!  I was actually shimming my collapsible and not moving it so that it would not wobble on me.

And best of all, APF did it for no charge to me.  Can't complain or beat that with a stick!