• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Homemade vise block for LR308

mrmackc

Anyone decided that they can make a vice holding block for your LR308 lower or assembled rifle?

I thought about using an old metal 20 or 25 round magazine by pouring it full of old melted babbit wheel weights or recovered lead shot after removing the innards, and maybe grinding off the feed lips.

What do you think  ?

I'm going to try it if I can find my supply of surplus wheel weights that I once used to make .45 Semi wad cutters out of, maybe drop in several old steel bolts, nuts or 1/4" chain links before pouring in the hot molten babbit or lead.

Edited by mrmackc

I also thought about using either plaster of paris or quick Crete, even epoxy mixed with metal  (like bulk J-B Weld) is probably a good idea. 

Dropping inside some small bolts & nuts or nails for reinforcement, that way you could use old Pmags without worrying about the plastic melting.

I also thought about using either plaster of paris or quick Crete, even epoxy mixed with metal  (like bulk J-B Weld) is probably a good idea. 

Dropping inside some small bolts & nuts or nails for reinforcement, that way you could use old Pmags without worrying about the plastic melting.

The Metal-epoxy is a no no that stuff is expensive!

I dont think you can beat that above price!

But if you are crafty and cheap you can do like I did lol. I made a dummy mag out of a slab of black polyethylene and it works fine. I also bolted a little "L" piece to the top so I can drop the hammer on it, and not my bolt catch. If you can get your hands on something similar you should be able to work it with a table saw.

Edited by Toolndie7

Looks like wasted effort unless you have the stuff already. I thought of it because I had a metal mag with mangled lips and a torn open bag of qc that I have no use for. Might still give it a try just to see,

Cheap is right, I have everything on hand.... only expense to me is the energy to heat the babbit, or my time to mix the sack-crete, which is left over from another DIY project.  I am also going to do a 1911 magazine mag well vise, but will weld the old colt clone mag onto a 4" piece of 1" square tubing, also left over from a DIY project. probably will do one of each .308 and .45 Auto each with babbit and also Sack-Crete.  I am also going to do a 1911 magazine mag well vise, but will weld the old colt clone mag onto a 4" piece of 1" square tubing, also left over from a DIY project.

What really will be the good part is I made something myself and it works, Like God said on the Seventh day:   " I made it all by myself, and it is good!"

I've got some of their stuff and it works great! With the upper block I turned a piece of Delrin to fit where the BCG go's to

support the upper from crushing when torquing the barrel nut - here's a better link:

http://www.plastixrevolution.net/collections/ar15-vise-blocks/products/308-upper-receiver-vise-block-ar10-sr25-lr308

I've got some of their stuff and it works great! With the upper block I turned a piece of Delrin to fit where the BCG go's to

support the upper from crushing when torquing the barrel nut - here's a better link:

http://www.plastixrevolution.net/collections/ar15-vise-blocks/products/308-upper-receiver-vise-block-ar10-sr25-lr308

That's the only piece they don't have. They need to make the BCG piece. And darnit, ya'll just made me spend money at that website. :sigh LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone decided that they can make a vice holding block for your LR308 lower or assembled rifle?

I thought about using an old metal 20 or 25 round magazine by pouring it full of old melted babbit wheel weights or recovered lead shot after removing the innards, and maybe grinding off the feed lips.

What do you think  ?

Ingenuity is the mother of all invention; and necessity, curiosity and tinkering too.