• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Dpms lower & bcg compatible with armalite buffer set up?

Shepards End

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum lots of great information. Here's what I have: rifle is DPMS LRT SASS set up with fixed PRS stock. I wanted to put a collapsible stock with kynshot hydraulic buffer. I screwed up and bought the armalite sized carbine buffer and a standard mil spec extension + dpms carbine buffer spring. 

My question: To fix my issue can I buy the longer armalite RE and armalite carbine buffer spring and still have my dpms bolt carrier function properly? Plan to shoot hotter hunting loads for elk. Does this make a difference in choosing buffer weights?

thanks guys for your time and expertise!

Edited by Shepards End

You should not have an issue if you keep all Buffer assembly components ( Receiver Extension ,Buffer & Spring , all the same group , be it a DPMS or an AR10 set up . Some here like the longer AR 10 system , but the DPMS system works also.

There are other Buffers & Buffer Springs out there if you want to custom tune the Action , not to mention , Adjustable Gas Blocks .

Thanks a lot for the info Survival shop! Ya was thinking about an adjustable gas block as well. My ultimate goal is to lighten up my sass and turn it into a hunting rifle. I have already taken 3 mule deer with it but it's way too heavy to carry on a long elk hunt.

Another side question since I'm kinda new to reloading for a semi automatic. Is it completely necessary to crimp reloads? I have seen mixed info other places. How do people shoot non-cannelured match bullets?  Do ya just put a light crimp on these?

Born and raised on bolt guns and black powder muzzleloaders. Kinda new to ARs. Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes!

I've tried it both ways and not had any issues with setback from recoil. I did shrink the expander a bit by spinning it on some emery paper so I would have a bit more neck tension when not crimping, I ALWAYS start on the lower end of the suggested charges in the book to avoid any pressure issues crimp or no crimp. No matter what I did I kept having issues crimping with my Hornady die, crushed the shoulders. The Lee factory crimp die has been idiot proof for me on all bullet types I've tried.

Hunting ammo , I always put a crimp on it , I went back to a Taper Crimp ( with or with out a Cannelure), I was noticing case neck damage with the Lee Factory crimp , it leaves a ring around it & IMO would shorten an already short case length . 

Taper crime is hard to screw up a case , only a light crimp is required to press the case mouth uniformity around the Bullet , another benefit of a Taper Crimp is Bullet alignment with the case .

Problem with crushing the shoulder of the case when crimping is all operator error . I did it a lot when I first started reloading for the .223 , till I went to Taper Crimp , but I guess you can set back the shoulder if you crimp too much on that also .

9 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Hunting ammo , I always put a crimp on it , I went back to a Taper Crimp ( with or with out a Cannelure), I was noticing case neck damage with the Lee Factory crimp , it leaves a ring around it & IMO would shorten an already short case length . 

Taper crime is hard to screw up a case , only a light crimp is required to press the case mouth uniformity around the Bullet , another benefit of a Taper Crimp is Bullet alignment with the case .

Problem with crushing the shoulder of the case when crimping is all operator error . I did it a lot when I first started reloading for the .223 , till I went to Taper Crimp , but I guess you can set back the shoulder if you crimp too much on that also .

Any idea what the difference is on RCBS and Hornady dies on the crimp?

I never had an issue with RCBS dies when I loaded for a 25-06 and 22-250 but I bought Hornady 308 dies and had lots of problems getting the die adjusted for the crimp. Went to the Lee die for crimping and the issue went away?

I Crimp on a separate operation from seating the Bullet , I have seen issues where crimping & seating can cause issues . Also Case length has to be uniform from case to case for a traditional roll crimp to set correctly , a Taper crimp doesn't have that same issue , you will feel it more or less stop, its like putting a wedge into the Die. Case brand has a lot to do with it also , case thickness can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer & sometimes even with the same manufacturer . All Crimping should be done using feel more than mechanical stop .

The Collet type Lee factory crimp , crimps in a different way then a Roll crimp & the way you set it up is how it sets max crimp . I have nothing against the Lee , it puts a good crimp & if set right , is uniform . My concern is that looking at cases that were crimped on non- cannelure Bullets is I can actually see a line where the crimp was after resizing , on the inside of the case & to me that may have weakened the case .     Case mouth separation will ruin your range day .

I have tested many different crimps & non crimped cases & found the Taper Crimp gives me the most uniform Ballistics then other crimping methods . With an auto fed firearm I want some kind of crimp , just neck tension , to me is not enough . How do you know any Bullet stays where you set it at when fed & fired , well , you don't , but having a Crimp will at least add to the safety factor that the Bullet won't be set back , more so than just Neck Tension .

8 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

I use Lee Factory Crimp dies on all of my rifle rounds. A light crimp only, you will have to get a feel for the pressure needed. Must be consistent !

I do the same thing as Mike and it has always worked well for all my rifle reloads.