• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Suggestions Needed

EngrBob

I recently bought a mini mill and some 80% lowers so that all of my ARs (one AR308 and 2 AS15s) would be ghost guns.  Since I expected to make some mistakes I got a couple of extra 80% lowers and they are looking for a home.  Now in looking around I had enough parts laying around to complete one AR308 low and one AR15 lower and have an upper for each and even a BCG for the 308.  I was thinking about whether I should get a 6.5 Creedmore barrel with extension for the AR308 lower (the only thing left is a barrel and compensator - I do have a gas block and a couple of gas tubes) and possibly a 6.8 SPC barrel and BCG for the AR15.  What do you think? Suggestions.

I think you're in stage 3. BRD is rapidly overcoming every inch of your body and soul.  I think you've already been eyeballing things laying around the house that could be traded or sold to acquire more parts. Am I close?

I also got a little excited when you said you had spare 80%ers that needed a home. I was ready to fire off my address. 

23 hours ago, EngrBob said:

I recently bought a mini mill and some 80% lowers so that all of my ARs (one AR308 and 2 AS15s) would be ghost guns.  Since I expected to make some mistakes I got a couple of extra 80% lowers and they are looking for a home.  Now in looking around I had enough parts laying around to complete one AR308 low and one AR15 lower and have an upper for each and even a BCG for the 308.  I was thinking about whether I should get a 6.5 Creedmore barrel with extension for the AR308 lower (the only thing left is a barrel and compensator - I do have a gas block and a couple of gas tubes) and possibly a 6.8 SPC barrel and BCG for the AR15.  What do you think? Suggestions.

I retire here June 30 and was thinking about doing the same thing to occupy some of my time.  Where did you get the mini mill?

I got it from Northern tool since they shipped it to the local store and I didn't have to pay shipping.  Most of these mini mills are made by Seig in China (Grizzley, Harbor Freight, and other brands) and are mostly the X2 model but some have slightly different accessories and different paint jobs.  Basically it has a two speed setup, 0-1100 rpm and 0-2500 rpm.  Having no real machining experience I watched several You Tube presentations on general machining and specifically on machining 80% lowers.  The hardest part is truing the mill with the vise in place so you can easily follow either lines scribed on the lower or a jig template.  For me the secret was to go slow and to use the stop to ensure that I didn't go too deep.  I bought carbide end mills and they went through even the 7075 aluminum like butter as well as a set of collets to use rather than a chuck, and a milling vise.  I did both aluminum and polymer lowers.  For the aluminum have a vacuum available to get the chips out.  The polymer lowers are a bit more difficult to manage the shreds which tend to get stuck in the flutes if you have too high a rotational speed.  You have to try it and it gets pretty obvious by feel and sound when you are getting into trouble.  Just cut conventionally and finish with a climb cut (watch the videos to find the difference). It is a nice way to pass an afternoon, but it is like lays potato chips, you can't have just one!

There are a multitude of add ons for these machines and can go all the way to a CNC setup.  I have found a number of other uses in making odd parts or making special parts or tools to use for assembling rifles.  I wish I had time to fool around with it more but until I retire (probably not for another 5 or 6 years) I just don;t have the time to push this hobby.  Enjoy.  Also, look around on the littlemachineshop.com to get an idea of what is available.

2 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

You really need something a little bigger than the small ones because you will need a vice to hold it steady.  A milling vice to move it around is extremely helpful. 

I bought this drill press and this vice.  As was said, watch plenty of videos before jumping in. 

Thanks again.  I look forward to this.  :cool:

That's about what I have now.  I think it's a 10" or so Craftsman I bought years ago.  I should have enough room to mount a small moveable mill table but it will be slow and tedious drilling a lot out first before I did minimal milling with the press.

I'll shop around and see what's out there.  We got some good sales coming up periodically throughout the rest of the year.

11 hours ago, EngrBob said:

I have found a number of other uses in making odd parts or making special parts or tools to use for assembling rifles.  I wish I had time to fool around with it more but until I retire (probably not for another 5 or 6 years) I just don;t have the time to push this hobby.  Enjoy.  Also, look around on the littlemachineshop.com to get an idea of what is available.

Hahahahaha! Another one hooked! I am not a machinist by trade, but you know what? It's FUN!

You can do a lot with an X2, you can do a little more with an X3. I'm considering CNC'ing mine. Why? Just because.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here is the start.  I got a 20" Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Creedmore barrel to go with my raw upper and 80% lower from Daytona Tactical,  The Wilson blemish BCG is included as well as a no-name compensator.  I added a Magpul MOE rifle stock with UTG front end.  I painted most of this with Brownell's paint.  I'm waiting on the go and no-go gauges to check the IMG_0004_edited.jpge.

Edited by EngrBob
thried to get head space out from under the photo