• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Small pistol primer 45ACP

survivalshop

So far I've seen it in Blazer Brass, Federal, and Winchester.

For awhile I was separating the small primer pocket .45 brass to the side after resizing/depriming, then would take them and prime them separately after priming all the large brass.

Now I chuck them in my daughter's art supplies.

I had to read up on why they are even used in such a large volume Pistol Brass case , seems it started with then non toxic Primers & they produce a substantially larger flash & using a Large Primer  ( non toxic ) would deform or separate the Primer cup .   I also think there is a $$ factor involved .

They can have them , I'll stick with the LG. Premiered ones .

I never picked up range brass 45acp.  Al my shooting friends used Lg pistol primers I used a primer pocket reamer to take out the military crimp and always use LG primers.

Edited by mrmackc

On June 21, 2016 at 9:45 AM, mrmackc said:

I never picked up range brass 45acp.  Al my shooting friends used Lg pistol primers I used a primer pocket reamer to take out the military crimp and always use LG primers.

When I pick up my brass after shooting , I seem to pick some up from other shooters , I don't check brand or Primer size , I just pick up 45 brass . if I see new once fired any brass I pick it up ,because I can't tell the difference between my clean brass & new . SS Tumbling , you know . ?

I heard it had something to do with originally the 45acp was slotted for using small primers. However, the m1911 was so loose and out of spec that issues arose that firing pins were not properly located in the breech face. This brought along the 'repair' to use large primers. Small primers actually support higher pressures, if that is a real concern with those low and slow rounds. I have only had federal and blazer brass come with the small primers. I only notice when going to prime them. Ugh! *junk brass can*

Still the best darn pistol cartridge around.

If small primers support higher pressures , why not use them in 44 mag. or other big calibers.

Slide fit or Firing Pin slop would have to be way out to support the argument of the an issue with the Primer not being set off , because of it . Man that would have to be one sloppy 1911 :laffs: