• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Trying to decide on the right barrel.

Thresher61

Hey everyone I'm trying to finish out my build.  I need some of y'all's input on my barrel. I'm trying to decide between 22" and 24" barrel. Is there really that much difference between a 22" & a 24" barrel. I'll be shooting premium grade ammo. I usually use Hormandy ammo around the 150 to 168 grain. Going with the 1:11 twist. I've been talking to Andy Kreiger & JP at Black Hole Weaponry. I have read a couple negative feedbacks on BlackHole though,so I'm debating. Also there's quite a bit of money difference between the two, about $400.  But that doesn't bother me if I know I'm getting the best . Thanks for any input anyone woukd give

Just read your intro post Thresher. If you plan on some long range hunting, I think 20 or 22 in would be good for you. I also saw you want accuracy, a lot of things depend on accuracy, but barrel rigidity helps with that. so I think 20-22 inches would be long enough to keep a decent velocity, yet maneuverable enough for hunting. and a semi bull or bull barrel, though it will make it a little heavier than a standard hunting rifle, will make it more accurate because it is more rigid and will be more consistent with multiple shots because there is more metal to have to warm up, less affect from cold barrel to warm barrel.

As for brand, any of the two you mentioned would be great. heard only a few bad reviews about blackhole, but for their price, I would take the chance any day. As for Krieger, if you want the best of the best and aren't afraid to throw some money into it, that might be the barrel for you.

• 3 months later...

Just reading this now, I built a .308 AR using a Krieger barrel, 26" long, exceptional accuracy bordering on 1/4 MOA. If long range is what your looking for, I've loaded 185 Berger Juggernauts to 2700 FPS for shooting 1000 yards. Shorter barrels won't make enough velocity to stay supersonic at that range. For reliable 1000 yard shooting you need to stay out of the transonic range, about 1300-1350 at the target.

1 hour ago, LucasMcCain said:

Just reading this now, I built a .308 AR using a Krieger barrel, 26" long, exceptional accuracy bordering on 1/4 MOA. If long range is what your looking for, I've loaded 185 Berger Juggernauts to 2700 FPS for shooting 1000 yards. Shorter barrels won't make enough velocity to stay supersonic at that range. For reliable 1000 yard shooting you need to stay out of the transonic range, about 1300-1350 at the target.

Welcome to the forum feel free to tell

us about yourself in the intro section

Edited by shepp

On 12/17/2016 at 1:12 PM, LucasMcCain said:

Welcome .... Chuck !

maxresdefault.jpg