• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range Time

Sisco

Went out and played with the M1A today. Dialed it in to 100 yards on iron sights with what is going to be it's standard loads. M-80 brass with 39.8 RL15 and 168 gr. or 175 gr. Sierra Match King BTHP's. I had the 175's printing directly on the bullseye after adjusting for a cross wind. The 168's are printing 2 inches high at that range. I might experiment next time with the number of clicks needed to dial the 168's in at 200 yards. It is a very comfortable, consistent rifle to shoot, but it does have a totally different recoil sequence than an AR-10. A single "push" rather then an elongated "shove" I find with the AR10. Not better or worse, just different. Next step will be to put on the Bassett mount and try it with a Red Dot before settling on a scope. I really like the Match peep sights and the 2 stage National Match trigger is phenomenal! Best trigger I have tried.

ps: it was Christmas in November. Someone had left 40 Federal 308 brass laying on the ground, so I came home with 40 more brass than I left with!

Edited by Sisco

It sounds like you had a really fun day and good luck finding that brass. I like that load with  Reloader 15. I discovered 300 Speer 170 30cal. Bullets I bought in 1979. I had put a price of $5.00 a box on them for a gun show in the 1990's after I quit reloading for my.3006. Guess i'll keep them.

45 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

It sounds like you had a really fun day and good luck finding that brass. I like that load with  Reloader 15. I discovered 300 Speer 170 30cal. Bullets I bought in 1979. I had put a price of $5.00 a box on them for a gun show in the 1990's after I quit reloading for my.3006. Guess i'll keep them.

It is not a particularly hot load, but I don't have to worry about bent operating rods either. Those 170's should do nicely. Found some Varta, so I may work up something special once I scope it. The iron sights do surprisingly well given my 68 year old eyes.

A friend called today to hit the range. He didn't have to ask twice. I checked the mailbox on the way out and lo and behold, my Bassett M1A picatny mount was here. Did a little installation work at the range and my red dot is on and zeroed. I can indeed use the iron sights still. The Bassett torque wrench works slick. Note: two failures to feed. I think I have to increase my powder charge slightly. No problem with factory loads. Below is a picture of the new set up

Will work until I get a scope.

20161116_122906.jpg

Edited by Sisco

9 hours ago, sketch said:

Push and shove is a good description! Did you try 200 this time?

No, We had limited time, and I wanted to get that red dot mounted in case I use it for deer season. If the weather turns sour, might have to wait on that until spring or go to the commercial shooting range after Thanksgiving. Did all my work with 175 Sierras and a few ZQ-1 NATO thrown in just to get some brass for reloading.

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up picking up a 1×6 first focal plane froma friend for the time being. Cheap! Called a Firefield. After seeing the way it shoots, it may be on yhere for a while. This was.my first ten shots at.100 yards. The two flies on the right were adjusting. Hit it about right on.the third shot and.left it there.

20161202_151021.jpg

20161205_133459.jpg

3 hours ago, Sisco said:

168 gr SMK's BTHP 39.6 gr RL15 Winchester primers. Turkish ZQ-1 M80 once fired brass. Off sandbags with 1907 Springfield sling.

Looks fine, tell me about the cheek piece, I like it

3 hours ago, Sisco said:

168 gr SMK's BTHP 39.6 gr RL15 Winchester primers. Turkish ZQ-1 M80 once fired brass. Off sandbags with 1907 Springfield sling.

4 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Looks fine, tell me about the cheek piece, I like it

https://www.amazon.com/ITC-Marksmanship-Cheekrest-Chocolate-Leather/dp/B00JEIBRVU/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1481019235&sr=1-2&keywords=leather+rifle+cheek+pad

I have put myself on a budget, and wanted something affordable. With all three foam inserts in it is perfect for my high mount with low profile scope rings. It does have removable layers of foam to get to the right height.

Edited by Sisco

5 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

beautiful gun and nice shooting. you'll have to keep me posted on the Firefield scope, may be in the price range I can convince my wife to let me spend. haha

I asked my friend, and he picked up at optics planet. I got it for quite a bit less than this from him, but here is what a new one costs. One dislike about it: Less than 2X and the cross hairs disappear completely, being a first focal plane. 2x on up, and they are fine.If I had bought new, I would add $100 and get the Primary Arms model.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/firefield-1st-focal-plane-waterproof-illuminated-1-6x30mm-rifle-scope.html

6 hours ago, Sisco said:

https://www.amazon.com/ITC-Marksmanship-Cheekrest-Chocolate-Leather/dp/B00JEIBRVU/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1481019235&sr=1-2&keywords=leather+rifle+cheek+pad

I have put myself on a budget, and wanted something affordable. With all three foam inserts in it is perfect for my high mount with low profile scope rings. It does have removable layers of foam to get to the right height.

Thanks It looks like what I need for the M1A, and Amazon is one of my favorite places to shop. Eazy to just wait on the brown truck to come up to the house

THANKS!

It should be here by Dec. 12, Thanks again. I have a match to use it in Dec 17. I also ordered a new shooting bench. Now I won't have to share one at the ranges. Us seniors over 75 are allowed all kinds of Perks. What is it they say about "He who dies with the most toys?"

shooting bench01.jpg

Edited by mrmackc

AMEN, bro Shepp,  and when I was younger I was busy working and busy raising four kids and that took most of my time and most of the money.

Now I am enjoying what activities  an old codger can do. It don't take a lot of athleticism to pull a trigger and that is what I enjoy a lot

2 hours ago, mrmackc said:

AMEN, bro Shepp,  and when I was younger I was busy working and busy raising four kids and that took most of my time and most of the money.

Now I am enjoying what activities  an old codger can do. It don't take a lot of athleticism to pull a trigger and that is what I enjoy a lot

Yep! That describes two of us Brother! It is cold as dickens in the garage today (26 F), But I loaded 70 more 308 and tried out my new factory crimping die on them. Looking good!