• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Vltor a5 system on 308

Kingchooser

Does anyone have any experience with the vltor a5 buffer system on their 308? I am running rifle length gas with adjustable gas block and figured I would ask around before I called Sprinco. I have read plenty of suggestions, some that I know to be wrong, and wondered if anyone has gone down this road themselves. Best I can tell, a 308 carbine buffer and an orange spring will do the trick, but I am wanting to get the lightest combo I can and adjust gas accordingly. 

thanks

For the 308AR, there are two carbine receiver extensions. 

You can use an AR15 Carbine receiver extension, and you must use 308AR Carbine buffers - little short fukkers.  That receiver extension has a 7" internal depth.

You can use the Armalite AR10 Carbine receiver extension, which runs a standard-length AR15 H3 Carbine buffer.  That receiver extension has an internal depth of 7 5/8".

Now, VLTOR came up with the A5 system to give US Marines a collapsible stock system to use on their M16 rifles, with their 20" barrels, WHILE maintaining the reliability of running the rifle-length recoil system.  It uses (basically) the Armalite AR10 Carbine receiver extension, but with a special, longer, "carbine" buffer that will run in the AR-15. 

You cannot use the VLTOR A5 buffer.

However, if you run the Armalite AR10 Carbine receiver extension and the typical AR15 H3 Carbine buffer, you have essentially created the same thing, for the 308AR.  Use the Armalite EA1095 buffer spring.

You cannot buy the VLTOR A5 System, complete, and bolt it up to a 308AR and get it to run.

Edited by 98Z5V

Just as the receiver extension internal depth is 3/4" longer (in both the VLTOR A5 and the Armalite AR10 Carbine extensions, VERSUS the standard AR15 Carbine receiver extension...  the VLTOR A5 buffer is 3/4" longer than a standard AR15 Carbine buffer...  It's odd, and between rifle-length (5.9") and carbine-length (3.250"), for the AR15...

VLTOR_A5_Buffers.jpg

Image result for VLTOR A5 buffer vs carbine buffer vs rifle buffer

Edited by 98Z5V

• 5 years later...

I have running an AR308 for 5 years now. The breakdown:

Dpms Oracle 308 Upper, lower, and BCG. No alterations. Criterion m118 20" barrel. AR308 Rifle length gas system. Vltor A5 stock extension(using this extention allows me to use standard length 3.25 inch AR15 type buffers. The Vltor stock extension is 7.75 inchs long. As a side note, there are a couple of other makes of stock extensions that are also 7.75 in long. Choose wisely. Note: the standard AR15 stock extension is 7.0 inchs long. If you want to run a Vltor A5 buffer with an AR308, you are out of luck. The AR308 BCG is about .75 inches longer than the AR15 BCG. The Vltor A5 buffer is 4.0 inchs long. It is .75 inchs too long to work inside an AR308 upper receiver because the AR308 BCG is longer than an AR15 receiver. Are you seeing the math here?  Note that the Vlto A5 buffer was developed for the Marines as a way for them to use an adjustable stock on their 20" barreled M16 and reduce a bit more  recoil. The Vltor A5 system works well for use in what it was intended for. You can also it on any AR15 to reduce recoil and slow down the cyclic rate making it easier to shoot. Yes this is confusing. I went through this awhile back. Post back and I will check in for q.

What exactly am I responding to? The person I hoped to provide info to inquired about ar308 specific info. It is all too easy to include AR15 data thus confusing the question and answer. Also, when we talk about large frame AR stuff, it would help if we all remembered that there is no mil spec for large frame AR types. An ar10 is specific to Armalite. Ar308 is mostly everything else. However there are exceptions. I get it. (I happen to run a DPMS large frame). The Large frame AR community is rife with confusing data and a glaring lack of standardization. Sorry for any misgivings or confusion. I certainly did not intend to step on anybody. BTW, Can't remember the last time I was called a bot.

59 minutes ago, RobK said:

Can't remember the last time I was called a bot.

I meant nothing personal.  We have had some AI bots post some on the forum lately.  They usually posted on threads that had no activity for a few years as their first post.  I am glad you proved me wrong.

Welcome to the forum.  Stick around for a while.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:50 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

I meant nothing personal.  We have had some AI bots post some on the forum lately.  They usually posted on threads that had no activity for a few years as their first post.  I am glad you proved me wrong.

Welcome to the forum.  Stick around for a while.

He prefers to be called "#5"!