• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

About to buy my first rifle

funny_spartan

Take it easy on me I'm not very knowledgeable on this so sorry for the dumb questions. Anyways I will be buying a DPMS Oracle and need some input on what parts I should upgrade to.

-geissele G2S

-Magpul MOE stock

-I want a 13 in BCM KMR ALPHA handguard but I think they only make them for AR15? If so I found this https://www.deltateamtactical.com/-Keymod-12-Free-Float-Hand-Guard-308-DPMS-Thread-Pattern-Standard-Low-Height_p_4833.html for only $50 (will I need a new gas block with a different handguard?)

-Also what rings should I get for leupold VX II 3x9x40?

This is going to be mainly a home defense and hunting rifle. Just looking for any feedback on what you guys think or if you suggest something different. Thanks in advance!

First of all welcome. You may want to post in introductions and introduce your self to the group (sorry Shepp I beat you to it.). I can't help you much as I went the Armalite AR10 route, but I don't think you have to worry about settling for DPMS. A lot of forum members have them and like them. One piece of advice: Get the rifle and lubricate it very well, especially the bolt carrier group, and take it to the range and shoot it a bunch with some different types of ammo before doing any modifications. That will give you a baseline from which to work as to what you like and don't like about it. If it shoots 1-2 MOA  out of the box, might not want to change much, but that will be up to you. At least you will know what you are starting with. Then it will be time to start deciding which parts replacement should be a priority. I am guessing a trigger may be right up there.

Yep I think a trigger is first place to start. I went with a Gisselle Saa. Good one, but two stage . Good install video on Utube later went to a Mech _Armor drop in 3 pound  single, when we had a group promotion with their nice charging handle..

Lube it up really wet, load one round in mag shoot see if the bolt stays open each shot.  After first 5 shots break open check it over, clean the chamber and bore barely damp hoppes #9  . Now load a mag partially full of good fresh factory ammo sight in and have fun break it in, keep well lubed.

On 3/13/2017 at 11:20 AM, jtallen83 said:

It's a good practice when testing a new rifle to start out with one round in the magazine to make sure the bolt locks back like it should. 

& doesn't go full auto & dump the mag with out being able to stop it , ya never know .  One round, then two, then three , then five, ten, & 20 . making sure everything works correctly. Use proper Barrel Break in as you are testing , if thats what you prefer  . Run her wet !

Edited by survivalshop

6 hours ago, funny_spartan said:

Shouldn't I load it to the max to see if it will double feed? I was going to buy one or two pmags anyway I don't think they ever have problems

You can do what ever the hell you want, but you asked for help, and that's what your getting. Yes p mags should work but there are some rifles that don't like them, SS has one, mine and others have no issues. There's no milspec with large frame AR's tolerances very from each manufacturer, dpms should be good right out the box, I know mine was. Good luck, read a lot there's a ton of good info in here to absorb