• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What's Your Favorite 308 Handguard?

Aeneas

I've been deciding upon and acquiring parts for my AR 308 build slowly but surely, and I've got most of it figured out, but I haven't yet settled on a handguard. I've been looking at the SLR Rifleworks 308H ION 16" Lite Handguard with MLOK slots. I have a Rainier Ultramatch 18" barrel on the way, and I'd like the handguard to cover the majority of the barrel. Any ideas on other options?

SLR Handguard.jpg

Edited by Aeneas

1 hour ago, MikedaddyH said:

I will be the only one on this site that likes Magpul plastic hand guards. Only because metal is hot in the summer and I am tired of burning my fingers if I don't have gloves on when shooting.

Well if your hands weren't so baby soft you wouldn't need gloves

4 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

When you were shooting here it wasn't hot. The guns get so hot here you have to shoot them to cool them down ! ?

Truth.

Tom could testify about people at Appleseed shoots asking "Does anyone have a towel so I can keep my rifle cool?"

Edited by planeflyer21

3 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

Tom could testify about people at Appleseed shoots asking "Does anyone have a towel so I can keep my rifle cool?"

Yep, even in the April shoots.  We tried not to conduct an A/S Shoot in the summer, for that very reason - miserable, and you'll burn yourself when you pick up your black rifle, if you didn't cover your black rifle between shooting stages.

I've laser-temped black rifles vs painted rifles, and there is a significant difference.  It's not just an old wives tale...  :thumbup:

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Yep, even in the April shoots.  We tried not to conduct an A/S Shoot in the summer, for that very reason - miserable, and you'll burn yourself when you pick up your black rifle, if you didn't cover your black rifle between shooting stages.

I've laser-temped black rifles vs painted rifles, and there is a significant difference.  It's not just an old wives tale...  :thumbup:

Yup.

RSO'ing at the range, I've had people pack it up when it gets hot.  Shooting isn't that important to them.

The shootists go to their vehicle and get a work glove for their support hand.  :fullauto:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...