• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel nut wrench not even close

BIGBREW

Hold on I know ive got one that will work right here someplace

002.JPG                   use one of these          002.JPG.714a79e163909ce3de07110e36582400.JPG

if one of these don't fit...theres always your toenails      toenail2.jpg      Wash

Edited by washguy

7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Adjustable pin-type spanner wrench.  Or,contact the rail manufacturer, and ask them what barrel nut wrenches fit. 

You mean like this:

0408171931.thumb.jpg.66000a77bb799e787cf52d1d019e2d87.jpg

I'm sure it would work, good ones are kinda expensive, I haven't seen any that have a way to attach a torque wrench (a debatable issue)

1 hour ago, guruofhotrod said:

You mean like this:

0408171931.thumb.jpg.66000a77bb799e787cf52d1d019e2d87.jpg

I'm sure it would work, good ones are kinda expensive, I haven't seen any that have a way to attach a torque wrench (a debatable issue)

I could see that working.   I was talking about one of these, though.  With a  torque range of 30~80lb/ft for a barrel nut, you don't need a torque wrench.  That's a pretty broad range to hit...

Spanner.gif

You don't have to use a lot of rocket science for those kinds of nuts. Just grease the threads, then hand tight it on. Slide a gas tube into the next hole that would line up. Use your spanner to advance to that hole until the gas tube slide into the upper. Done. 

No torque wrench needed. 

19 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

You don't have to use a lot of rocket science for those kinds of nuts. Just grease the threads, then hand tight it on. Slide a gas tube into the next hole that would line up. Use your spanner to advance to that hole until the gas tube slide into the upper. Done. 

No torque wrench needed. 

That's how I did my 223 but I used the fingers in the holes.  I snugged and loosened it up a few times,  tightened it down till it was nice and snug and lined up the closest hole. Didn't crank it on there and haven't had a problem and the holes in the nut kept their shape pretty well.