• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS 5.56 didn't like the Wolf Steel ammo.. & range today.. :)

YWHIC

Read some AR15's do and some don't like steel cased ammo..

I thru caution to the wind and ordered 500 rounds of Wolf MC 223 FMJ ammo.. for the new DPMS 5.56 I ordered..

after running a good 80 rounds of Federal AE 223 55gr FMJ with ZERO issues.. I tried the Wolf MC...

HORRIBLE.. FTE's.. last one got STUCK in CHAMBER and I had to use a cleaning rod to get it out.. when I got it home..

now when your sighting in a new red-dot/scope and something like this happens.. it tends to pis* on your parade..    <dontknow>

anyway.. that was yesterday..

I have sold the remaining Wolf already and recovered $92 for that..

I then ordered some (400 rounds) more BRASS ammo.. $6.19/box.. PMC Xtac 193 55gr FMJ ammo..

here is today's results..

at 100 yards and 3 MOA red dot.. group measured 3 1/4" with 10 shots..

DPMS556.JPG

and some CLAY bustin..

100ydSkeet.jpg

all seems GTG now..    <thumbsup>

as a side note it was suggested to TRY some Silver Bear maybe after say 300 rounds down the pipe to maybe loosen the cahmber up abit and get rifle to break-in some..

Al

Definitely shoot it more before you make your decisions about steel-cased.    I'm running heavier buffers in the 5.56 guns, and the worst problem that the steel-cased ammo give me is failure to feed the next round sometimes, because that crap is low powered.  I've played around and tossed standard carbine buffers back in there, and all is good for shooting it.  YMMV...

Definitely needs a good shootin'-in first, though.  <thumbsup>

• 5 months later...

Another thing to look at is that it has been said that steel rounds do not expand like brass. Hench when you check the chamber after you fire off several steel cased rounds, you will find the back blast from the shell will put a carbon buildup in 50-60% of the chamber.

The backblast (Heat) of the steel shells going off can erode the chamber over time.

From DPMS

Ammunition Warning After extensive testing, we have found that only ammunition manufactured to SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) specifications is reliable in DPMS rifles. DPMS recommends the use of high quality, domestically produced ammunition for best results and highest accuracy. For plinking and practice, we recommend only domestic, commercially manufactured ammunition. Please note: the use of hand-loaded ammunition voids the factory warranty. The use of all ammunition listed below also voids the warranty.

We have incurred feeding problems with the following: 

• Israeli ammunition
    • Korean ammunition
    • Chilean ammunition
    • Portugese ammunition
      • PMP
      • South African produced surplus

We have used this ammunition in the past for testing purposes and found the brass is extremely soft and can "flow" into microscopic pores and grooves in the chamber creating "sticky" extraction. This has been reported in many types of rifles, but is more prevalent in semi-automatic weapons.

• Lacquer Coated Ammunition or Steel-cased, lacquer coated ammunition
      • Wolf
      • Norinco
      • Silver Bear
      • Any steel-cased (coated or non-coated) ammunition

The problem with this ammunition is that the lacquer coating on the case. As the barrel heats up, the lacquer turns to a soft, varnish substance and upon cool down, becomes very solid and difficult to remove. This effectively creates an undersized chamber and creates understandable problems.

Your rifle is an investment and it only makes sense to choose quality ammunition for a quality rifle!
        Barrel Information To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds and then every 10 rounds up to the 100 rounds. It usually takes about 200 rounds per barrel for optimum accuracy. Please keep in mind that our barrels are production barrels not custom barrels. Accuracy is dependant upon many factors such as bullet weight, powder load, rifling twist, rifling lands, operator technique, etc. Our production barrels have achieved anywhere from 1/8" to 1 ½" M.O.A. Obviously, we would hope that every production barrel would shoot 1/8" M.O.A., but with all of the above factors, we cannot guarantee a specific group size.

Definitely true no two rifles are alike. I got my DPMS ap4 (I think that's the model, lw barrel) in 2007. I followed the manual and did the break in with 200 rounds of brass (Remmy UMC 55gr fmj). After that it's been a majority of steel, mostly wolf with some brown bear thrown in......not a single issue. IMO regarding the voiding of the warranty if you use steel cased in their rifles: if they don't feel their rifle is able to stand up to steel cases, then maybe I should sell it for a rifle that can. Unless I'm mistaken extractor steel should be stronger than shell casing steel....and as mentioned before, if steel is crap then why is Hornady of all ammo companies now offering steel ammo? And "match" no less. The range I'm a member of has a small 3-gun shoot every month from about march through oct/nov, and I've run with wolf/BB every time without issue (granted, not a high round count because space limitations). I've also heard good things about silver bear, but again YMMV.

Here's a good vid regarding the issue of steel ammo:

http://youtu.be/P5ZB3UfG960