• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

16" or 18" barrel length for deer hunting

Navistar82

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I've got an 18" miglength gas stainless barrel from Rainier Arms that is an absolute tack driver, and it doesn't kick like a mule or anything like that. 

Says a retired U.S. Army Ranger that shoots 45-70 lever action rifle just for shitz & grins!:laffs:

6 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

Says a retired U.S. Army Ranger that shoots 45-70 lever action rifle just for shitz & grins!:laffs:

Just mentioning that rifle makes my shoulder tingle..... *shuddder*

I need to shoot it again though, I think I have some unresolved issues.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

I don't run any adjustable gas blocks on any of my rifles - so, they'll work without adjustable gas blocks. I think I understood you correctly.

Port in gas blocks should be 0.125", across the board - that's the maximum gas port size you'll ever find in a barrel.

Yes, that's what i was asking. I ordered the 16" this morning. Now onto searching for a charging handle, 1-1.5lb trigger and stock. 

Thanks to all

9 hours ago, Navistar82 said:

1-1.5lb trigger...

Triggers that light are hard to find. Trying looking into Jard.  I know they have one that goes down to 2.0lbs, but I only know that because I've had one for years.  Super-short reset, which makes it a pain in the a$s to shoot in a semi.  If you don't follow through on the trigger pull, it resets and shoots again (still semi-auto, not failing - just short reset...).

Another option is the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger.  You won't find anything nicer.  Might not get down as low in pullweight as you want, but after you shoot it, you won't care.  

https://geissele.com/hi-speed-national-match-trigger-set.html

4 hours ago, Navistar82 said:

Thanks, ill look into those.  I dont put my finger on the trigger till I'm ready to shoot and i dont use heavy gloves, under armor material without the big name. 

Think he meant more like banging it around or accindentally dropping it

I like a two stage trigger for hunting myself.  This is why I put my first LaRue MBT on the .308, the second is going on the .338, and I put a G2S on the Grendel.  Hunting in the kind of scrub we have in West Texas means getting ready to take a shot in the small clearings as the game moves through, so a very smooth second stage with a light pull works very well for me. YRMV.

• 2 weeks later...