• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Am I as hosed as I think I am?

Sisco

I was sizing some deprimed twice fired Remington 223 brass this morning when this happened after about 60. The rim bent and popped out of the shell holder. I rotated the die a bit to get some fresh shoulder, sprayed some lubricant in the die and tried to ease it out, and stripped again. Also the deprimer won't release after I unscrewed it. I have done 1500+ reloads off this die. And never had this happen in 40 years of reloading. I am guessing its time for a new set of small base dies.

20170524_104029.jpg

Edited by Sisco
I tried to get it out with a vise grip wouldn't even budge

Both RCBS and Hornady make a kit to deal with this issue (ask me how I know).  They are less than $20 and are available from any number of sources.  Basically you get a drill bit to drill out the primer pocket, a tap to thread what is left, a bolt and spacer that when you screw into the case it is retracted from the die without damaging the die.  I had that happen on one of the 308 cases I was resizing to 338 (not enough lube) and the kit I bought worked like a charm.

2 hours ago, EngrBob said:

Both RCBS and Hornady make a kit to deal with this issue (ask me how I know).  They are less than $20 and are available from any number of sources.  Basically you get a drill bit to drill out the primer pocket, a tap to thread what is left, a bolt and spacer that when you screw into the case it is retracted from the die without damaging the die.  I had that happen on one of the 308 cases I was resizing to 338 (not enough lube) and the kit I bought worked like a charm.

I will see about getting one. I just picked up a set of RCBS small base dies for $32 on Amazon, so I wonder if it is worth it, but you never know when it might happen again. This way I will have a backup set. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Try to use the De-priming rod as a press screw it in to push the case out , spray some penetrating oil in there & let it sit for a while first . You probably can't get the Rod assembly out because the case is too far in the Die , to get the neck expander past the neck sizing area . 

If using the Stem to push it out doesn't work , use the the screw in the Primer pocket method .

Good luck , it sux for sure to get one stuck .

12 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Maybe freeze it before you try to separate. 

That was gonna be my only suggestion.  Well, besides buying the stuck case remover from RCBS.  That stuck case remover is basically a kit that uses 1/4x20 standard hardware to pull that thing out - you can make that from Ace Hardware stuff tomorrow.  :thumbup:

RCBS Stuck Case Remover.png

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That was gonna be my only suggestion.  Well, besides buying the stuck case remover from RCBS.  That stuck case remover is basically a kit that uses 1/4x20 standard hardware to pull that thing out - you can make that from Ace Hardware stuff tomorrow.  :thumbup:

RCBS Stuck Case Remover.png

I was thinking that was a sex toy kit.

Nope. My Amazon Prime order of RCBS 223 small base dies showed up, along with my Lee 223 crimping die. My local hardware store didn't have a small enough bolt puller, so I have to run over to another one tomorrow. Until then it is sitting in the chest freezer. Then I will use it for back up.

On 5/27/2017 at 7:54 PM, Sisco said:

Nope. My Amazon Prime order of RCBS 223 small base dies showed up, along with my Lee 223 crimping die. My local hardware store didn't have a small enough bolt puller, so I have to run over to another one tomorrow. Until then it is sitting in the chest freezer. Then I will use it for back up.

Still waiting instead of spending the $18?

What is entertaining about this whole thing is that directly after posting my offer, I got out of my pickup and walked into a local sporting goods store to buy some supplies for myself. As I am standing there looking at the wall of reloading accouterments (the case removal tool kits right in front of my face) I started giggling to myself while thinking of just buying the necessary kit for you and mailing it. ....now a 6'2" hairy biker looking guy standing and giggling probably wasn't the best thing to do, as 3 sales staff were asking me if I was "finding everything alright?"  In quick succession.

Just a bit of dry humor from the weird side......

Funny:laffs:. I found one and picked it up in Superior. Will work on it tomorrow. I have been busy , between an organization I belong to, and shooting up a bunch of reloads with my son after playing "musical scopes" on three of my rifles, and splitting next winters firewood now that my shoulder is pretty much healed.  I tried a bolt puller, from the local hardware store and it wouldn't budge. Thanks for the offer Bubba, appreciate it man.