• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rude awakening

392heminut

So, years ago my wife and my oldest boy went together and bought me a Dillon 550 reloader. Now mind you the kid was a grunt in Uncle Sam's Army and didn't have much money back then but he stepped up!

He just got a new house in Juneau AK with a shop and everything so I figured it was time to return the favor since his birthday was coming up and all. Guess what it costs to ship a Dillon 550 to Alaska! $95 friggin dollars! So he gets back from salmon fishing and there's this big azzed Dillon box sitting on his kitchen table (I had my grandson go over and take it in the house when it got delivered). The boy calls me all excited and I told him "Just wait, you may be cussing me before this is all over, you gotta get all the rest of the schit that you need to reload and straight up front, you're not gonna save a damn dime, you'll just get to shoot more!"

He's mostly been shooting his AR-15 so I got the .223 conversion kit with the machine. When he called he told me he just acquired (TOM, you're gonna love this!) a lever action 45-70, so he's gonna have to get all the stuff to reload that too. I haven't heard anything out of my daughter-in-law but I figure she might be a bit peeved, he's already ordering schit online (well, the stuff he can't find in Juneau) and depleting the family fortune.

Maybe that Dillon will confuse the hell out of him and he'll get me and the wife plane tickets to come up there so I can get him on track. Nah.............he'll just get one of his shooting buddies that reloads to come over and help him, Beer is cheaper than plane tickets!:lmao:

1 hour ago, 392heminut said:

When he called he told me he just acquired (TOM, you're gonna love this!) a lever action 45-70, so he's gonna have to get all the stuff to reload that too.

YES!!!  :hail::laffs::lmao:

I can set him up with a killer recipe, right off the bat.

45-70 can be tricky, and he needs to watch his load data sources.  There's 3 different configurations, with trap door loads, modern loads, and Ruger No. 1 loads.  Ruger No. 1 load data will blow his gun up!  He needs to stick to "modern" loads - which would blow up a trap-door gun.

New Hornady brass, CCI 200 LRPs, 50.0gr of IMR 3031, and some 405gr silver-cast lead projectiles from these guys:

http://oregontrailbullet.com/shop/

I always thought the 45-70 would be the perfect Alaska gun - it'll drop anything up there. :thumbup:

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I always thought the 45-70 would be the perfect Alaska gun - it'll drop anything up there. :thumbup:

Way to go Hemi! Get up to visit hm anyway if you haven't been there. Alaska is cool.

A fishing buddy of mine has a good story about a grizzly hunt with a 45-70 in the Aleutians.

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

YES!!!  :hail::laffs::lmao:

I can set him up with a killer recipe, right off the bat.

45-70 can be tricky, and he needs to watch his load data sources.  There's 3 different configurations, with trap door loads, modern loads, and Ruger No. 1 loads.  Ruger No. 1 load data will blow his gun up!  He needs to stick to "modern" loads - which would blow up a trap-door gun.

New Hornady brass, CCI 200 LRPs, 50.0gr of IMR 3031, and some 405gr silver-cast lead projectiles from these guys:

http://oregontrailbullet.com/shop/

Right now he's concentrating on getting up and running on .223 but when he is ready to start on 45-70 I'll definitely be getting with you to pick your brain!:thumbup:

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Way to go Hemi! Get up to visit hm anyway if you haven't been there. Alaska is cool.

A fishing buddy of mine has a good story about a grizzly hunt with a 45-70 in the Aleutians.

The wife and I are planning on making a trip up there next summer.

He's already had a run in with a bear up there. He and a couple of buddies were deer hunting on some island and he went out to watch a trail one afternoon. He was by himself because his friends had already decided it was beer thirty. He said a bear (a black bear I think) came down the trail and towards him, and he started shouting and making noise to try and scare it off but the bear kept coming. Said he dropped the bear with his deer rifle at about 30 yards. Scared the crap out of him!

2 hours ago, dpete said:

I remember that. Another one that happened was a mother and cub showed up below a bow hunters tree stand. He coughed to make his presence known. The cub panics and goes up the tree crawling right over him! The mom comes up mad, he is poking her with his arrow, she bites him in the leg, the cub climbs back down over him and mom and cub run into the brush. The DNR decided not to track and euthanize her, as she was only protecting her cub.