• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

To rock chucker, or not to rock chucker.

Boot_Scraper

I'm currently using an old RCBS RS cast iron press. My dad bought it in the 70's and he gave it to me. It's loaded thousands of rounds and still gets the job done. My question is this; how do the new RC presses compare to the old RS? Does the compounding lever help? 

I was also looking at the Lee classic cast. Looks like a solid press.

1499949743853596896887.jpg

Compound linkage will make loading large cases a little easier , if the press has no play in the Ram shaft , it should be OK , but I would bet it does & that will effect loaded ammo concentricity , will still shoot well , but not match quality .

RCBS is a very good brand , as is Lee .

I went to a MEC with its floating Shell Holder , makes high quality ammo . I originally purchased one of the first off the line & had to return it for a replacement because of a defect in the screw in adapter for the Die , they sent me new one before I could pak the defective one to send back . My ammo with using a Forster match seating die , comes out to under 0.001 " out in concentricity , about three or four times better then using my old ( like yours ) Pacific single stage press , which I might add is forty/fifty  plus years old . I got it from an old buddy of mine who was too old to mess with reloading any more .

Here is the thread 

6 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

It's got about .005 play with the ram all the way up. I still get good groups from it so i guess it still does the job. I just have a habit of spending money when i get bored. 

Progressive  Dillon 550B press , if you load  a lot , other wise a new Rock Chucker will do anything . That a quite a bit of Play in the old press, since I got the MEC , I have regulated my old Pacific to Tools , like Bullet pulling , Primer pocket Swaging of mil spec brass
& so forth .

I also have a Dillon 550B , RCBS Green Machine & an old Lee 1000 

On 7/27/2017 at 10:08 AM, Bullet2Bone said:

Boot..newby on forum but oldie on bench..what would be yer favorite recipe for a 180gr soft nose shot from a Sig Sauer with a 1n10 twist?..guna try to pick the brain of a primerhead that sound pretty fricken wise at the press

IMG_20170719_183048611.jpg

I haven't loaded/tested a bunch of different stuff in 308. I did however do a bunch of digging and Varget is very popular for the 308. I load Sierra 165 GK HPBT for my Xbolt and get .435"@100. 42.5 gr Varget, CCI 200, Federal case.

1501368350153265576924.thumb.jpg.028119aa91bfdfc57c85490e200751c3.jpg

I still haven't shot my PA10 yet but I'll ladder up a set for that as well. Sorry i couldn't be more helpful.  

3 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

I haven't loaded/tested a bunch of different stuff in 308. I did however do a bunch of digging and Varget is very popular for the 308.

Varget is AWESOME for .308 Win.  When it became scarce (Thank you O-Bumfuck, in the SandyHook 2012 bullshiit...), I started with RL-15 - which is equally impressive.  I've been on RL-15 ever since.