• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

260 Remington or 6.5 creedmoor for easier swap from a built 308 AR?

Navistar82

I built an AR 308 and would like to try a 260 or 6.5 barrel. I've read some statements on another forum and it said the 260 has many issues running in a gas gun, very finicky, bolt carrier issues, firing pin issues just to name a couple.

So is the 260 Remington or 6.5 creedmoor an easier swap from a built 308 AR? Im looking to just buy a barrel and swap them out. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Lots of opinions, I'd think the 260 would have a slight advantage in the 308AR platform with the 308 being parent cartridge, less shoulder angle and more body taper for feeding reliability.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/17/birds-of-a-feather-260-remington-vs-6-5-creedmoor/

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

https://www.dailyshooting.com/260-remington-vs-6-5-creedmoor/

http://www.recoilweb.com/todd-hodnett-the-long-range-cowboy-108460.html

I thought the same until i found this page. 

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/700132__260_Remington_AR.html

7 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Why not just build another Upper in the Caliber of your choice , unless $$ is an issue , why not have both worlds , 6.5, 260  & the 308 .Special built Upper assemblies for two different worlds or uses . I know thats not an answer to your question , but I don't have an answer ,because of no experience or desire to hav

Yes, funds is the issue, cheaper to buy a barrel and see how it runs, then build a gun around it afterwards. Or unload the 308 barrel and stay with the new barrel. 

23 minutes ago, Navistar82 said:

I want to try a 260 but the link i posted from the other site has me spooked. I'm still a green on AR builds, only done a few and the stuff those guys were rattling off sounded expensive. 

All of those issues can be over come with the proper tuning & good Components .

Do you plan on shooting long range ?

12 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

All of those issues can be over come with the proper tuning & good Components .

Do you plan on shooting long range ?

No, it'll be a whitetail gun first and paper punching second, farthest on deer is 350yds and 500yds on paper. 

My setup right now is a full aero 16" 308 upper with their melonite BCG and an odin works adjustable gas block, aero lower with hypertouch 24c trigger. Armalite buffer tube extension with a 308 JP enterprise polished spring and a daneil defense 6 position stock.

I look at the resume of the person giving the information, Todd Hodnet, impeccable credentials, Barfcom posters unknown credentials. 

100%

58 minutes ago, Navistar82 said:

I want to try a 260 but the link i posted from the other site has me spooked. I'm still a green on AR builds, only done a few and the stuff those guys were rattling off sounded expensive. 

I know it's fun to build different stuff, but you seem to be worried about money (like said above nothing is cheap/if it is it's not worth it). What's wrong with .308 for whitetail? 

5 minutes ago, shepp said:

100%

I know it's fun to build different stuff, but you seem to be worried about money (like said above nothing is cheap/if it is it's not worth it). What's wrong with .308 for whitetail? 

Nothing, just like to tinker and the 260 has always intrigued me as a great deer round, low recoil, flat shooting, hard hitting and plenty of power for a whitetail.

You just can't build anything precision in the AR platform "cheap", better to take your time and buy quality as you can afford it.

When it comes to HP bolts look at Fulton, I am putting one in a build , top quality for about half of a JP.

Does the HP bolt take care of the bent firing pin issue mentioned in the posts from the other forum.

2 hours ago, Navistar82 said:

Does the HP bolt take care of the bent firing pin issue mentioned in the posts from the other forum.

If you are bending the firing pin then something is wrong. I would bet Fulton would stand behind their product. From what I read there people were loading the 260 very hot and creating their own issues.

5 hours ago, Navistar82 said:

No, it'll be a whitetail gun first and paper punching second, farthest on deer is 350yds and 500yds on paper. 

My setup right now is a full aero 16" 308 upper with their melonite BCG and an odin works adjustable gas block, aero lower with hypertouch 24c trigger. Armalite buffer tube extension with a 308 JP enterprise polished spring and a daneil defense 6 position stock.

The 308AR you have now is quite adequate to do what you want , nothing wrong with tinkering . Since you are low on cash flow , you can purchase another Upper Receiver & built it to suit with a 260 Barrel , make a complete Upper assembly & you have two calibers with the same Lower set up . Buy what you need when you can afford it , until you have it all together  

6 hours ago, Navistar82 said:

I thought the same until i found this page. 

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/700132__260_Remington_AR.html

This link has some totally incorrect info or who ever was building that 260 or heard bad info to begin with . 

24 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

This link has some totally incorrect info or who ever was building that 260 or heard bad info to begin with . 

^^^Yes.  The OP in that thread is ARTrooper - same guy from here.  Looks like he joined there and made that post on the same day he joined here.  We should ask him how this has gone. 

navistar - you know my input on it, on the .260.  :thumbup:

@ARTrooper, this build go?  Any issues?

Well now that my setup should be ok for a barrel swap.

Back to the 6.5 CM vs 260 in a gas gun which is better question, Ive also read that the 260 was designed more for a bolt gun and it has to tuned way low for a gas gun. Will it loose to much speed being tuned for a gas gun, will the 6.5 CM be better in a gas platform? Ballistic Advantage has an 18" midlength 6.5 in their listings, seems it might work since its a factory option from them.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Navistar82 said:

Ive also read that the 260 was designed more for a bolt gun and it has to tuned way low for a gas gun.

If that was truly the case, Mark LaRue wouldn't have invested the time or R&D to make a complete LaRue rifle out of this cartridge.  Honestly, if it sucked on a gas gun, you wouldn't be able to hop on that website and buy one right now.  It's already done.

When I ultimately get off my a$s and build mine, it'll be an 18" 1:8" twist midlength gas barrel, with two primary projectiles:  Barnes 120gr TSX BT and the Hornady 140gr SST.  A 20" barrel wouldn't be bad.  From what I've read, the very best in long range accuracy is from the 22" barrel.