• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

260 Remington or 6.5 creedmoor for easier swap from a built 308 AR?

Navistar82

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2017 at 3:17 PM, 98Z5V said:

^^^Yes.  The OP in that thread is ARTrooper - same guy from here.  Looks like he joined there and made that post on the same day he joined here.  We should ask him how this has gone. 

navistar - you know my input on it, on the .260.  :thumbup:

@ARTrooper, this build go?  Any issues?

Yeah, that was me on the other forum. I posted the same thing here. And if you read it carefully, i am saying what i was told by local builders, and asking if it was bullpoopy. We discussed it here on this forum and came to the the conclussion that it was missinformation. 

But dont confuse it as me spreading missinformation, because i was clearly asking if others had heard the same thing.

So far my build has come to a halt as my vehicle needed $3500 in repairs and i bought a house. Still needing barrel, bolt carrier group, and trigger assembly.

3 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Yeah, that was me on the other forum. I posted the same thing here. And if you read it carefully, i am saying what i was told by local builders, and asking if it was bullpoopy. We discussed it here on this forum and came to the the conclussion that it was missinformation. 

But dont confuse it as me spreading missinformation, because i was clearly asking if others had heard the same thing.

So far my build has come to a halt as my vehicle needed $3500 in repairs and i bought a house. Still needing barrel, bolt carrier group, and trigger assembly.

That don't mean you have to be a stranger

11 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I didn't think that at all , seemed to me you were looking for advice of the advice you got , which we know the advice you got was BS . Probably because of lack of experience on their part . Not your fault at all , if none of us ask , we will never get the answer .:thumbup:

Edited by survivalshop

Lol. Just checking guys, i know people that have a reputation for spreading missinformation and thats the last thing i want for myself on this forum. 

From what i can figure so far from further research, basically just like any gun built from a bunch of different parts, a 260 will need to be tweaked to get it functioning perfectly. 

And shepp, i know the lack of money to build a gun isnt an excuse to being a stranger. It is more of the lack of time because of the new house and been spending time with the family in the dells whenever it is warm enough.

12 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Lol. Just checking guys, i know people that have a reputation for spreading missinformation and thats the last thing i want for myself on this forum. 

From what i can figure so far from further research, basically just like any gun built from a bunch of different parts, a 260 will need to be tweaked to get it functioning perfectly. 

And shepp, i know the lack of money to build a gun isnt an excuse to being a stranger. It is more of the lack of time because of the new house and been spending time with the family in the dells whenever it is warm enough.

Have no fears, brother, in any way - you are solid here.  You always have been. 

We don't care if you have the gun built yet, or in 2025 - hit the place up when you have the time.  You're more than welcome, if you don't fire a round in years.  You're damn near family, by now.  :thumbup:

On 8/15/2017 at 1:56 PM, ARTrooper said:

I'm hoping to build a .260 before 2020, hope you have all the tweaks figured out by then so I can copy cat you, now don't be a stranger :thumbup:

lol. I forgot to take pics. oh well, it was raining for a lot of it anyways. was fun though doing practical exercises instead different types of qualifications. and races are always enjoyable too. the follower on a pmag got stuck one time though, ever had that happen, I lost that race. :(

• 1 year later...
On 7/15/2017 at 9:35 PM, Navistar82 said:

I built an AR 308 and would like to try a 260 or 6.5 barrel. I've read some statements on another forum and it said the 260 has many issues running in a gas gun, very finicky, bolt carrier issues, firing pin issues just to name a couple.

So is the 260 Remington or 6.5 creedmoor an easier swap from a built 308 AR? Im looking to just buy a barrel and swap them out. 

Thanks

@Navistar82, this finally happened, man, and the gun is one of the most serious distance shooters that I own.  Once the barrel-making dilemna went to off-the-shelf barrels from Wilson Combat and LaRue (at the same time), I went with the shorter 20" Wilson Combat barrel.  Here's the gun, and anyone can build it, man: