• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
se3388

My first PSA Gen II 308

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After buying and also building a dozen or so AR15s over the years I decided to get another 308 AR style rifle, I already have an AR 10 A2 and really like it except for the weight and it is very accurate with Rl12 and 155 gr A-Max bullets. I just ordered a PSA Gen II 308 complete lower, not sure what the upper will be or if I will build an upper for it. I'm thinking about maybe an 18 inch barrel (or maybe 20 inch) and Magpul Moe handguard (if they make them for it). The rifle will be for Deer hunting and Range work.

Steve............

Edited by se3388

No comments either way here, hhhhmmmm , did I make a mistake buying a PSA Gen II?

Steve............

1 minute ago, se3388 said:

No comments either way here, hhhhmmmm , did I make a mistake buying a PSA Gen II?

Steve............

Best to get upper and lower of the same brand. PSA parts compatibility has given more than a few fits. There is a sub section for PSA, I would start there and then use the search function for other compatibility threads.

Posted (edited)

After reading A LOT of stuff about PSA stuff it seems that the Gen II stuff is the better way to go if you get PSA stuff. I decided whether I build or buy a complete upper it will be PSA so I will have as few problems as possible. I think my problem is going to be what kind/style of hand guards to get. I don't think Magpul makes the Moe style for PSA stuff.

Steve...........

Edited by se3388

Posted (edited)

Welcome Steve! I have a PA10 as well. I bought an upper assembly. If I could do it again, I'da bought a stripped upper and pieced it together and saved a few dollars. I have a Diamondhead VRS-T handguard on mine along with a Faxon 16" pencil .308. The PA-10 uses a "low" DPMS LR-308  pattern HG. I'm very pleased with the finished product. The 18" nitride that came with it shot great (.7 moa) but was too heavy for my liking, 2.75lbs. The Faxon is 1.78Lb. 

Edited by Boot_Scraper

Oh yeah, skip the 18 or 20. Go 16" if you'll be hunting with it. Hunting is the main purpose for mine and I doubt I'll miss the extra 2 inches. Cue the penis jokes in...3...2...1 

Think I'll check out the Faxon pencil barrels.

Steve...........

I've got a PA10 I'm happy with. It's got the 18" SS barrel and Mlock fore end. I bought the fore end and lower separate. Then put them together. The price was pretty good. The only thing on mine is that it's a bit over gassed. I'll be putting an adjustable gas block on it soon.

Looks like it will be quite a while till I can get an upper as PSA has been out of stock for a while.

Steve.............

I would but I have all the stuff for a topend coming except the stripped upper receiver.

Steve..........

3 hours ago, se3388 said:

I would but I have all the stuff for a topend coming except the stripped upper receiver.

Steve..........

You might have a short wait but PSA is never out long, especially if it sells fast! 

I'm glad because all I need is the upper receiver and bcg. I e-mailed them three times over the past two weeks asking about uppers and bcg's  with no reply back.

Steve........

20 minutes ago, se3388 said:

I'm glad because all I need is the upper receiver and bcg. I e-mailed them three times over the past two weeks asking about uppers and bcg's  with no reply back.

Steve........

Get yourself on the email notification list and jump when you get the email. Getting on the list also helps them judge demand so sign up for both complete and stripped uppers.

Thanks, I just added myself to the notification list for the upper receiver and bcg. I always looked at the tiles and it said 'out of stock' so I didn't click on it to be able to see the e-mail notification link. Someday I'll catch on, LOL.

Steve.........

7 hours ago, se3388 said:

Thanks, I just added myself to the notification list for the upper receiver and bcg. I always looked at the tiles and it said 'out of stock' so I didn't click on it to be able to see the e-mail notification link. Someday I'll catch on, LOL.

Steve.........

They have both stripped uppers and full uppers that have the dust cover and FA installed, make sure to get on both notification lists.

Got on the list for both and the bcg list also. Got my complete lower today, I can't believe you can get a complete 308 lower for just $159.00 with no shipping. Can't wait for the upper parts.

Steve..........