• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Reloading for .308 AR platform

lovetabike

Just finished my AR-10 build and going to test it out on Fusion AR and Hornady Black Ammo for AR since I don't have any loads worked up and wasn't sure what components to get. I currently reload for my bolt .308.  I'm wondering if their are any 'special' considerations or components that are better or designed specifically the the AR-10 .308. I've seen specific powders but not sure about primers. I'm going to assume Hornady or Remington cases would be fine. I have a couple reloading manuals but no AR specifics in those.

308_2.thumb.png.b3bc84d323d3b4c2ad537756700e9e93.png308_1.thumb.png.4f7e29f5fd931dfdb24e09f65a82e5d7.png

Use 308 Load spec's from Loading Manuals .

Use Full Length Sizing Die , minimum or Small Base Sizing Die    ( your choice )

Max COL 2.800"  , because of Magazine   ( some Mag Brands can go longer , but not much )

I mostly use CCI STD Rifle Primers , but I have & use with some loadings , WW & Fed. Primers .

Edited by survivalshop

One observation: Don’t try “downsize”the load too much. I get into more problems from that with AR’s then I do keeping a fairly healthy powder charge. They need some oomph to cycle that bolt. That doesn’t mean maximum power loads! It does mean keep away from weak loads. I wouldn’t reduce the powder charge past mid range for a given bullet.

Thanks for the info. Just an FYI. The components I have are:

Mega Matten upper / lower

JP high pressure bolt assembly- in hind sight I wonder if I should have gone with a low mass version.

Christensen Arms  18" .308 carbon fiber barrel

Lancer Arms carbon fiber 13" hand guard

Geissele 2 stage trigger

Ergo hand grip 

Magpul PRS butt stock

Burris AR-332 sight

Lantac muzzle break

Very light up front so we shall see how much barrel flip I'll get.

Bolt guns do not generally require a crimp on the loadings, of the case to projectile.  Crimp your semi-auto rounds.  Crimp them.  Semi's will tear some shiit up, from the recoil, and you will eventually get some rounds (IN the magazine) that have bullet-setback.  That spikes pressures more than you can imagine.

Taper crimp, Lee-something-crimp, whatever. 

Crimp your semi-auto loadings.

Somewhere here, I've got pics of rounds in a 100-rd Beta mag for a 5.56 AR, that were NOT crimped.  When it stopped cycling, we really looked at it - and the projectiles were shoved back into the cases, pretty damn far. 

I'll shoot just about any "damaged" bullet that someone freaks out about... dented cases, whatever...  I wasn't going to shoot those things.

CRIMP.  TAPER-CRIMP.  WHATEVER.  It's a semi - you don't have a choice but to do it, or it's gonna get you.

Nice looking rifle there, I just finished a 308 AR build (I went the cheaper route, PSA) but haven't gotten to get to the range with it yet. I fired off several five round groups off the back porch to test function, works great so far. I have a long ago established load for my AR10 that shoots fantastic that works very good in my 308 AR's also. I can see I will like shooting my 308 AR better than my Armalite AR10 A2 as it is a lot lighter. Sad thing is my load for the AR10 is with RL 12 which they discontinued probably 15 years ago, I'm working on my last 5 lb jug. I usually use Winchester brass and Sierra bullets, not sure why but that is hte way it usually works out. These guys here give great advice, they have helped me a lot.

Steve...........

Edited by se3388

Just took mine out. I'll give it a "C -". I need to do some tweaking. It's currently a 'bolt action'. It will eject the case but not reload or lock out at the end.  I'm going to get an adjustable gas block since I'm going to suppress at some point. I have a full mass JP bolt assembly and JP silent capture spring/weight with 3 different springs and multiple weights. So, a LOT, of variable to go through.  It shoots well as far as accuracy. At 50 yards, after all my test rounds I have a hole in the target blown out the size of a quarter. 

On 10/27/2017 at 9:22 PM, 98Z5V said:

Bolt guns do not generally require a crimp on the loadings, of the case to projectile.  Crimp your semi-auto rounds.  Crimp them.  Semi's will tear some shiit up, from the recoil, and you will eventually get some rounds (IN the magazine) that have bullet-setback.  That spikes pressures more than you can imagine.

Taper crimp, Lee-something-crimp, whatever. 

Crimp your semi-auto loadings.

Somewhere here, I've got pics of rounds in a 100-rd Beta mag for a 5.56 AR, that were NOT crimped.  When it stopped cycling, we really looked at it - and the projectiles were shoved back into the cases, pretty damn far. 

I'll shoot just about any "damaged" bullet that someone freaks out about... dented cases, whatever...  I wasn't going to shoot those things.

CRIMP.  TAPER-CRIMP.  WHATEVER.  It's a semi - you don't have a choice but to do it, or it's gonna get you.

Truth gonna happen if you don’t crimp.