• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Oops my wallet is empty. First .308AR build.

UrbanHunter97

Hey all, I'm starting my very first .308AR build. In the past I've built two AR15s in .223 and one 9mm PCC. I have most of the basic knowledge down but I'm probably going to need some help. The goal of the build is to have a rifle that I can take out in the field hunting and to the range and shoot 500+ yards accurately.

As of now I have an Aero Precision M5 Upper and will be purchasing the lower as soon as I turn 21 (only a few more months) in the meantime I'll be building out the upper completely and probably snagging myself a trigger.

Planned Parts:

Aero Precisions Upper

Aero Precision Lower

Aero Precision 15" keymod handguard

BARREL, I'm thinking 18" don't know what brand though. Rifle Length.

Rise Armament Compensator or Lantac Dragon

Rise Armament RA-434 High Performance Trigger (maybe RA-140)

Rise Armament .308 BCG or Aero Precision .308 BCG

LuthAR MBA1 rifle stock

LuthAR chubby grip

OPTIC, I'm thinking I might go with a lower end Vortex

JP low pro adjustable gas block

All of that is tentative and I'm open to suggestions. I'm in the dark with what barrel to go with and what optic so any suggestions are appreciated. Keep in mind I'm working with a college student's budget...

Edited by UrbanHunter97

I'm new to building on the .308 platform so I'm no old hand at this. But in your situation I might just wait for a good sale (black friday maybe) and pick up a complete Aero upper.

Ballistic Advantage makes Aero's barrels for them and they can be had at a relatively inexpensive cost.

I hated that stock on my Armalite. Just not a fan at all. If I had the cheekpiece raised up where I wanted it I couldn't pull the charging handle all the way back.......wtf? 

From what you've said so far I'm not sure why you'd need a adjustable gas block. Not that its a bad idea. Also SLR seems to be the adjustable that is recommended the most. 

Compensators are definitely not a requirement though they can be nice. I think if anything you'd want a nice muzzle brake for hunting purposes. But they have so many muzzle device options nowadays that offer a little bit of everything.......supposedly. Could all be marketing. I've bought into them so you'll not get any guff from me.

Ultimately it sounds like your budget is the biggest factor. I'd come up with a list of options you will accept for each part and then order them based off which you can get the best deal on.

Edited by AMERIKINSHIP

If budget is a concern:

Aero Precisions Upper - GTG

Aero Precision Lower - GTG

Aero Precision 15" keymod handguard - GTG

BARREL, I'm thinking 18" don't know what brand though. Rifle Length. - Go Criterion at Futon Armory.  Super tight budget:  Ballistic Advantage or Faxon 

Rise Armament Compensator or Lantac Dragon - Those are "ok" if you want a comp.  VG6 is a bit better.  For a brake, go Muzzle Brakes and More ""Beast"- 3 or 4 ports

Rise Armament RA-434 High Performance Trigger (maybe RA-140) - Meh.  I have the RA-140.  Wait for the Giessele holiday sales

Rise Armament .308 BCG or Aero Precision .308 BCG - go Aero

LuthAR MBA1 rifle stock - It's light, but I found it very uncomfortable compared to Magpul

LuthAR chubby grip - whatever you like

OPTIC, I'm thinking I might go with a lower end Vortex - Save up.  Don't wast money here.  

JP low pro adjustable gas block - Budget: Radical arms.  Saving up:  SLR or Superlative Arms

Good luck!!

On 11/1/2017 at 2:32 PM, D.R.D. said:

BARREL, I'm thinking 18" don't know what brand though. Rifle Length. - Go Criterion at Futon Armory.  Super tight budget:  Ballistic Advantage or Faxon 

OPTIC, I'm thinking I might go with a lower end Vortex - Save up.  Don't wast money here.  

JP low pro adjustable gas block - Budget: Radical arms.  Saving up:  SLR or Superlative Arms

After doing some research I think I'm gonna go with the Criterion.

As for the optic, I've started looking at the Nikon M308, everything I've seen about it has all been pretty positive.

What is the benefit of SLR/Superlative over the JP

Also, Thank you for your input. I am pretty in the dark especially with shooting over 150 yards

On 11/1/2017 at 12:11 PM, AMERIKINSHIP said:

Compensators are definitely not a requirement though they can be nice. I think if anything you'd want a nice muzzle brake for hunting purposes. 

SLR is a solid time tested block, positive adjustment, no coil type spring to fail, and great customer service.

Superlative is a dual function block. One end of the adjustment is a restrictive type and the other way bleeds off gas to reduce pressure. I found the bleed off inadequate for the gas volume of 308. Do a search here for a thread with more details. 

Never used a jp so can't really say, I think it uses a coil spring and ball detent if I remember correctly.

• 2 months later...

So I've been acquiring parts as the budget allows

• BCM Charging Handle
  • No-Mar upper vice block
  • No-Mar mag vice block
  • Buffer Spring
  • Buffer
  • Gas Tube
  • LPK

I have also been looking around at other builds for inspiration and ideas. I think the next purchase will be the barrel. I am gonna go with a 18.5" FA by Criterion (This will be ordered when then next pay check arrives). That brings me to my next question. FA offers this barrel with a plain muzzle or a threaded muzzle. Are there any advantages of a plain muzzle or is it all personal preference?

Edited by UrbanHunter97

Do threaded, even if you don't want a muzzle device - you can simply put a thread protector on it.  Even on the threaded barrels, they machine a target crown, so there's nothing to lose by doing threaded - and nothing gained over unthreaded and target crown.  If you don't do a threaded barrel, it'll suck down the road when you want to hang something off the end of a plain barrel.  No need for the limitation, IMHO.

What kind of buffer and spring, receiver extension?  Just checking now, in case problems arise later.

4 minutes ago, UrbanHunter97 said:

I currently have the Aero Precision .308 Carbine spring and buffer.

With the AP carbine receiver extension, for their .308?  They've been noted several times as having a longer internal depth than "is standard" for that recoil system.  Mine measured out a 7.100" internal depth, and several others have reported the same thing.  Internal depth for that recoil system should be 7.000" and nothing more.  A hundred thou doesn't sound like much - but it makes a difference in weapon operation...

EDIT - once I discovered that, I threw that receiver extension in the trash.  Seriously.

Edited by 98Z5V

On 1/12/2018 at 10:57 PM, 98Z5V said:

With the AP carbine receiver extension, for their .308?  They've been noted several times as having a longer internal depth than "is standard" for that recoil system.  Mine measured out a 7.100" internal depth, and several others have reported the same thing.  Internal depth for that recoil system should be 7.000" and nothing more.  A hundred thou doesn't sound like much - but it makes a difference in weapon operation...

EDIT - once I discovered that, I threw that receiver extension in the trash.  Seriously.

I've heard that too. Haven't bought one yet because of that. I have the Ergo F93 stock on my .223 that I'm thinking about just switching over and getting a Magpul UBR for my .223