• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How important is it that you can use Magpul mags in your 308 platform AR?

Hawk45

I've got time before I decide if I want to buy or build, but the major differences between the Armalite platform rifles, RRA platform rifles and the DPMS/Mega platform rifles is the ability for the DPMS/Mega to take the reliable Magpul magazines where the Armalite use there mags and RRA use the FAL mags.  Was the magazines you could use a major factor in the platform you choose?  I know there has been issues with mags feeding in the past, but with the boom of the 308 semi platforms, have pretty much all the bugs been worked out of all the available platforms when it comes to magazine issues and feeding?

Thanks,

Hawk

Indeed, quite important to be able to use various mags.  Mostly because I don't want mags dedicated to a single rifle, and I have multiple rifles of the same calibers and like to be able to swap magazines among them (of the same caliber, of course :o ).

Personally I went with a PMAG compatible rifle it was important to me to build the lightest weight rifle possible. I started with a JD machine build got halfway done and realized the PMAGs didn't fit correctly. As much as it pained me, the set was really beautiful, I sold the upper/lower match set and bought an SI Defense set. I understand that I am only cutting ounces off... But if I can cut just a few ounces off 4 or 5 parts, that quickly adds up to a pound. My goal is to build a rifle less than 8lbs, and still have it shoot sub 1/2 MOA.... And maintain a managable recoil. This has not a cheap endeavor. It helps that I get PMAGs for $15 through LE.

A lot of us here were building AR308's before Pmags were on the drawing board , but just having more than one manufacturers mags. that fit is what made my mind up & the price of said mags..

Although I have a CMMG lower that will not function with the new Pmags , it still will use any steel one made for the DPMS pattern rifles.

I don't blame ether manufacturer for this, just the way it is . 

When I started my first .308 AR build, I asked around, (didn't know about this forum then) and the people I spoke to told me there were some problems with the Armalite mags, as well as being more expensive than the Magpuls. So, based on my good experience with the AR 15 Pmags, I went that route. Prior to using the AR 15 Pmags, I had always preferred metal mags for all my guns. Once I got used to the Magpuls I kind of came around about the whole idea of using plastic mags. Since that time I have heard many more opinions on the Pmags, Some positive, others not. It would seem that the 5.56 mags have a better track record than the 7.62. I have been lucky in that they have functioned 100% in all of my .308 AR's, but I have come to view them as somewhat disposable. I believe (without any proof to date) that they will wear our sooner than metal mags. In some ways that might be not such a bad thing, I'm thinking that the plastic being softer than the mag well or mag catch, is likely to wear quicker than the receiver. I figure it's easier to replace mags than the lower receiver. Besides that, by going SR25/DPMS compatible, I have the option of the plastic Magpuls or the metal DPMS or KAC mags.  Another thing which may or may not be true, is that it seems that there are more aftermarket parts available in the DPMS SR 25 pattern than the Armalite, so you have more options for parts selection when doing a build.

I wasnt aware of any Armalite magazine issues in recent years. Interesting. In my opinion the PMAGs were a life saver for DPMS folks for two reasons besides cost. DPMS had a run of out of spec magazines as well as some rough chambers and such. The PMAG's helped operators to determine which fault to hit up DPMS with for warranty work.

Today the Armalite mags are often closely priced to DPMS factory magazines. The PMAGS are a steal.

There was a time when magazines were tough to come by and I stated that the PMAGs were a game changer because they were available and they made the DPMS's rifles in many cases more reliable. I no longer feel that way. With the industry a little more stabilized DPMS seems to be turning out a more consistent product these days.

Sadly with CProducts  out of the picture we have lost a second source for quality magazine for DPMS platform.

We have heard rumors from Magpul that they are looking for a way to handle AR-10 magazines too. Who knows if that will ever see the light of day. 

I would go with anything but Rock River, due to their poor customer service, and the fact that FAL mags are becoming more expensive. I do not have a lot of .308 AR experience but I like my Armalite. I bought 5 mags at about $20.00 each, and have shot about 500 rounds with them. They performed very well with not a single problem.