• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SBR builders I need input please

Chuck Plissken

I like short guns. I have a 556 SBR and short range to medium is what I like.

I DONT want to hear "go 300 blackout". I have one and it's a suppressed gun. Does it's job well.  I reload my own aswell.

Can I get some info on a successful and functional SBR build in 308? What gas system and barrel length? Adj gas block or not? Suppressed and unsuppressed. What buffer/spring? What's your combo and is it reliable is what I'm after. 

First thing I'm going to hear is "why?" I didn't ask for a debate,I'm looking for SBR guys to chime in and not people who haven't been there and done that. 

Thanks in advance

Edited by Chuck Plissken

17 hours ago, Chuck Plissken said:

I like short guns. I have a 556 SBR and short range to medium is what I like.

I DONT want to hear "go 300 blackout". I have one and it's a suppressed gun. Does it's job well.  I reload my own aswell.

Can I get some info on a successful and functional SBR build in 308? What gas system and barrel length? Adj gas block or not? Suppressed and unsuppressed. What buffer/spring? What's your combo and is it reliable is what I'm after. 

First thing I'm going to hear is "why?" I didn't ask for a debate,I'm looking for SBR guys to chime in and not people who haven't been there and done that. 

Thanks in advance

First off welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about yourself In  The intro section

second off we’re a different kinda asshole around here, you wanna build a sbr .308 COOL! Like edge said there are a few guys around here with them/building them 

ps good luck with your escape...

22 hours ago, Chuck Plissken said:

Wow, way to make friends and impress others.  Nobody here will give you any grief for building a short barreled 308, so you don't need to leap right outta the gate in full a$shole mode.  You can leave that for another place.

As far as gas system length - that depends on how short you go on your barrel.  You'll have a hard time running carbine gas on an 8" barrel, if you end up there.  Gas system will mostly be determined by what barrel you get, and where that barrel manufacturer places the gas port.  You have little choice in the matter, besides picking your barrel and running with it, unless you're making your own barrel by your own hands.

I built a 13.5" 308, and it runs like a champ.  I put a 2 3/4" brake on it, so it's not a papered-SBR. 

P1050880.JPG

This guy built an 8" short barreled 338 Federal SBR:

Edited by 98Z5V

6 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

How short do you consider “short”?  I only ask because I was banging steel with a 13.5 incher recently. That little bastard ran like a champ.

Amen, brother  - that thing just runs and runs. :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

There’s a Fed out in my neck of the woods that carries a 12.5” .308 in his patrol unit.

I would have preferred that setup in Afghani-land, over the M4A1, and day.  I'da had a very tough choice if you asked me to pick a 12.5" SR-25 over a Mk12 Mod 0 though, for that shiithole.

27 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I would have preferred that setup in Afghani-land, over the M4A1, and day.  I'da had a very tough choice if you asked me to pick a 12.5" SR-25 over a Mk12 Mod 0 though, for that shiithole.

You give me a 12.5" Sr-25 and keep me inside of 300m... I am a destructive force of nature. The concept of a 20" .308 eludes me (for a regular guy like me)

Awesome guys. I tried not to sound completely like an @$$hole :) good feedback and thank you.

I was going to consider a 12.5" barrel on my current DPMS/Aero rifle. But go midlength gas. I'm finding adjustable gas blocks are the way to go for fine tuning due to wide range of ammo usage.

I'd like to use nato stuff due to price and availability. Availability is more is important and nato spec stuff is easy to find and practice with. My 16" gun runs good but a little shorter is what I'm after. 

If I had the spare change I'd highly consider a POF 12.5 piston upper. But I enjoy building more.

2 hours ago, Chuck Plissken said:

I was going to consider a 12.5" barrel on my current DPMS/Aero rifle. But go midlength gas. I'm finding adjustable gas blocks are the way to go for fine tuning due to wide range of ammo usage.

You can do it, 12.5" and midlength gas.  This is the 13.5" with middy gas here - you have the room on a 12.5" for it, as well. 

P1050683.JPG

I used a standard gas block, and it runs fine on everything I've thrown at it so far.  Adjustable block will help you if you'll run a can on it.  If you'll never run a can, then the adjustable block will just be money spent...

I've got an Armalite that I built using the Noveske 12.5" Leonidas barrel. Noveske ships it with a gas block and gas tube. A bunch of the guys around here have shot it also. It shoots well, is accurate and I've never had any reliability issues with it that I didn't cause myself (a loose safety selector screw once). I've shot it suppressed also and she runs quite well. John Noveske knew his poop when it came to designing barrel/gas system combos.

5a3fe120d0a2e_UpdatedAR-10SBR_1.thumb.JPG.8cfefbca863d8c194d2a77dd9540560d.JPG

As far as for POF. I've got one of their 12.5" SBR's that I bought (factory built, I didn't build it). To tell the truth, I don't see any real difference in performance from it compared to any of my other DI gas SBR's. And I really wasn't that impressed with it, and rarely even take her out of the gun box to shoot it. My shorty Armalite is my "go to" for my SBR's that are 7.62/308.

Here's the POF.

5a3fe259a6006_POFSBR2.thumb.jpg.45c68a9646dcbe000e02aabd900368ec.jpg

I've also got a 3rd shorty 308. Made by DSA. It's a FAL OSW. Now she's fun to shoot. The FAL adjustable gas system is probably the most adjustable of any out there. She's probably the heaviest out of the 3, but she's still pretty badass.

OSW_1.thumb.jpg.9219fb809c30a77b4dbe3b5cd2f81dd2.jpg