• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Superlative Arms AGB in a 308AR?

dpete

I have a SA AGB on my 300 BLK suppressed SBR and it is working great.  I've recently been thinking of an adjustable gas block for my 308AR due to the fact that brass consistantly gets ejected to 1:00 or 1:30.  The rifle has an 18.5" lightweight Criterion barrel with rifle length gas from Fulton Armory and it has fired and ejected everything I have put through it flawlessly, but at the 1-1:30 range.   If I remember correctly someone here has tried a SA agb on their 308AR.  I tried the search here but came up empty.

If the SA agb is not suitable for a 308AR what would you guys suggest?   I've looked at Odin and SLR so far.

15 minutes ago, dpete said:

I have a SA AGB on my 300 BLK suppressed SBR and it is working great.  I've recently been thinking of an adjustable gas block for my 308AR due to the fact that brass consistantly gets ejected to 1:00 or 1:30.  The rifle has an 18.5" lightweight Criterion barrel with rifle length gas from Fulton Armory and it has fired and ejected everything I have put through it flawlessly, but at the 1-1:30 range.   If I remember correctly someone here has tried a SA agb on their 308AR.  I tried the search here but came up empty.

If the SA agb is not suitable for a 308AR what would you guys suggest?   I've looked at Odin and SLR so far.

I believe it was ,  jtallen83 , who tried on his Suppressed 308 AR .  I don't remember where that Thread or post was , But the other AGB's you mentioned should work . I have a SA Piston system in one of my AR15 Carbines & it works great , but thats not a 308 .

I have yet to see a gas block that is built specifically for one platform and isn't suitable for the other. Not to say there isn't one, but if there is, I haven't stumbled upon it yet.

A gas block is a gas block, as far as I can tell. So long as the I.D. matches your barrel O.D. at the gas port, it should work.

I say if you like the SA block, run it. Worst case scenario, you can offload it here for close to what you paid for it.

13 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

If the rile runs like a champ why change anything ? How critical is it to go to 3;00/ 4;00 range ?

My understanding is that it would indicate being overgassed ejecting to 1-1:30.  With all that BCG mass slamming back and forth harder and faster than it has to maybe taming it down a tad could prolong its life.

Edited by dpete

4 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Get a heavier buffer.

That, too.

Slash buffer and Armalite spring (available from Slash...) made a world of difference on my DPMS 16" carbine gas rifle. I don't pay that much attention to ejection patterns, but the recoil impulse was greatly reduced and the buffer no longer feels like it's slamming the aft end of the buffer tube.

3 hours ago, dpete said:

I used one on a 16 inch rifle gas build with poor results suppressed or not. The bleed off settings will not let enough gas out to achieve the non cycle stage that they direct, you allow enough gas to bleed to stop function the back up to achieve function at minimum gas.. It does bleed some off but just can't handle all the gas needed for a 308. It works fine in the restricted mode but that ain't the big selling point of this gas block. Many cheaper gas blocks would work the same and have less parts or complexity. Should be able to search superlative here and locate the thread on it.

I dont worry too much about Ejection patterns ether . I would not think twice about putting an adj. Gas Block on a 16" Carbine Gas system in 308 . Thats about the most over gassed configuration you can get in 308 . 

The SA Piston system Carbine I have is the only Rifle I have with an AGB , I don't use them & have no issues , Tune the system & except for that one 16"Barrel/Carbine Gas system combo , there is no real need for them unless your running suppressed .

Yes , I agree , if its not broke , don't fix it .  :laffs:

Also , you would think , as was said , that any Gas Block should work .?.   

Edited by survivalshop